Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modification of Formula - Clarification 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPM73

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2007
US
Hi Excel Users,

I have a file that has multiple worksheets in it. The majority of the worksheets is a basic form that helps summarize job requirements for each specific project.

In this file, I have a Work Summary Log worksheet in which I'm extracting some data from the other worksheets to "summarize" all jobs into one nice work summary log.

The following form works great to "automatically" extract desired data from desired worksheets:

=IF(C20="","",INDIRECT("'"&C20&"'!I9"))

C20 = Worksheet name or Worksheet tab name

Example: 03-2008-TNG06307-101_P1

I9 = The desired extracted data
I have a handful of variables for each task, such as:
C = Complete
WIP = Work in Progress

When I use the above formula, I would like the result to be 'C' or "WIP" if that's what is stated from the 03-2008-TNG06307-101_P1 form or worksheet.

If I copy this formulat to the next row or rows, the "I9" variable does not change - The rest of the formula is fine.

How can I modify this formula so that "I9" variable becomes "I10" & gives the desired result from the worksheet in which I'm extracting data from?

Example:

If "I9" = 'C' in worksheet, 03-2008-TNG06307-101_P1, my result will be 'C' on my Work Summary Log worksheet

If "I10" = 'WIP' in worksheet, 03-2008-TNG06307-101_P1, my result will be 'WIP' on my Work Summary Log worksheet

=IF(C20="","",INDIRECT("'"&C20&"'!I10"))

As of now, I have to manually change the 'IXX' value, which I don't want to do

How can I modify this to "automically" change cells, as if the formula was:

=I9 -- Gives result as, "C"

Then, copied this formula to get:

=I10 -- To get result as, "WIP"

Is there another formula that works similar to the above formula or description given that will provide desired results?

Thanks

Jason,
CTQ Engineering
Technical Team Leader
GE Product Definition Designer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, the reason I9 doesn't change is because its a string, not a variable.

One (cheap and ugly) way to do this would be a column of helper cells with numbers corresponding to the row value. For example, if column H contained a series of numbers 9, 10, 11, 12....

=IF(C20="","",INDIRECT("'"&C20&"'!I" & H1))

Would, I think, do what you want.

There certainly are better ways.

There are probably better ways of building your summary report as well.

Hi Excel Users,

I attached a sample to my previous question, concerning this subject. Perhaps, when seeing the file, you will get a better understanding of what I'm trying to do.

In this file example, I have 2 worksheets, which are as follows:

CTQ-TNG06307-101 Work Log -- This is my Work Summary Log
03-2008-TNG06307-101_P1 -- This is my project form, in which I will have multiple similar forms like this, except different data that pertains to that specific project.

I want to be able to "automatically" pull or extract data off my other worksheets, which in this case is, 03-2008-TNG06307-101_P1 worksheet.

Part of my CTQ-TNG06307-101 Work Log intent is to have a "string" value, as I copy the formular down, within the CTQ-TNG06307-101 Work Log worksheet.

However, I want part of my Indirect formula to have a "Indirect Variable", if there is a such a thing in Excel.

As, I copy the worksheet name into cell 'C19', I want my indirect formula that will change my "I19" value to become a variable & become "I20", as I copy the formula down.

So far, I tried the other suggestions, but there's still something wrong with my formula.

Please assist.

Thanks

I have a file that has multiple worksheets in it. The majority of the worksheets is a basic form that helps summarize job requirements for each specific project.

In this file, I have a Work Summary Log worksheet in which I'm extracting some data from the other worksheets to "summarize" all jobs into one nice work summary log.

The following form works great to "automatically" extract desired data from desired worksheets:

C20 = Worksheet name or Worksheet tab name

Example: 03-2008-TNG06307-101_P1

I9 = The desired extracted data
I have a handful of variables for each task, such as:
C = Complete
WIP = Work in Progress

When I use the above formula, I would like the result to be 'C' or "WIP" if that's what is stated from the 03-2008-TNG06307-101_P1 form or worksheet.

If I copy this formulat to the next row or rows, the "I9" variable does not change - The rest of the formula is fine.

How can I modify this formula so that "I9" variable becomes "I10" & gives the desired result from the worksheet in which I'm extracting data from?

Example:

If "I9" = 'C' in worksheet, 03-2008-TNG06307-101_P1, my result will be 'C' on my Work Summary Log worksheet

If "I10" = 'WIP' in worksheet, 03-2008-TNG06307-101_P1, my result will be 'WIP' on my Work Summary Log worksheet

=IF(C20="","",INDIRECT("'"&C20&"'!I10"))

As of now, I have to manually change the 'IXX' value, which I don't want to do

How can I modify this to "automically" change cells, as if the formula was:

=I9 -- Gives result as, "C"

Then, copied this formula to get:

=I10 -- To get result as, "WIP"

Is there another formula that works similar to the above formula or description given that will provide desired results?

Thanks

Jason,
CTQ Engineering
Technical Team Leader
GE Product Definition Designer

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c088bd4e-45bb-4cbc-9d56-8dcd1c04236f&file=Indirect_Variable_Issue-Question.zip
Seems like that formula in CTQ-TNG06307-101 Work Log!G19 of your attached workbook does what you want.

Your post is a bit confusing because the cell references used in your post do not match the cells in the attached workbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back