Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modifications to cast in place garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

doka1

Structural
Jan 7, 2009
US
I am a superintendent for concrete construction and have come across the most bizarre design team. The project is pretty straight forward and involves a concrete topping slab that ramps up. The topping is on top of an existing cast in place concrete parking deck (one way slab). The topping slab is 4" thick and is placed on high density foam. To assist with the extra load from the topping slab, the engineer has added a footing and column mid span underneath one of the existing concrete beams.

We questioned whether or not "ribs" would be required for the topping slab...plans did not illustrate so. It did specify 100 psi hi load, would that help to eliminate the ribs?

Upon saw cutting, excavating, and installing the new Concrete footing, the engineer is not allowing us to strip the forms on the FOOTING for the 3 days! They are requiring concrete breaks before work on the column can progress...I didn't know whether to laugh or get mad. I tried to be professional and cite aci reference material respectfully with no success.

The column requires 4 #6 verticals. We installed #6 dowels and used #7 verticals....the column was rejected because we didnT use #6's...

At this point I really feel like the victim here. I have worked for this owner in the past with success, never with this design firm....

Question is, how would you handle the above situation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Larger column bars get rejected?
Don't tell me they are doing some displacement based seismic design stuff. Hinge the column to protect the superstructure? In that case, larger size column dowel may be rejected. Where is your project located? Is it in a seismic zone?[afro]

Moment curvature analysis,reinforced concrete column design and prestressed concrete pile design at

Regarding the #7, they claimed the # 7 splice would dictate, and length out of footing corresponded with a #6 splice...then went on to try and explain how you have to develop the #7....I just shook my head in disgust....

Project is in nj....

I don't know if I painted a clear enough picture... the column shores up the beam. My plan was to fill the column 18" below bottom of beam, and hammer drill a 2" inch hole to fill the remaining 18 inches from above. I thought they wouldn't like this considering the concrete could shrink ever so slightly. I thought shrinkage was they wanted us to wait 3 days before column work (apparently not!!!! strength was the concern for not stripping the footing wtf?!) Would you prefer that method or the final 3 inches to be grouted later? The column verticals were epoxied into the underside of beam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back