Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Modifiying tempered glass

Status
Not open for further replies.

drax

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2000
US
I have some 4" OD tempered windows that I need to modify by .06", should I heat the glass and then modify or is there another way. If so, what temperature.

thanks in advance.
Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Drax,
A toughned glass modification is tough job.Try to cut it and it would braek off. Try grinding ,it would go up in splinters.The only way you can do that is to heat up the glass gradually by sticking to a heatup curve (which depends on the composition of the glass) anneal it following the annaeling curve of that glass and then do the modification. Once done you would have to re toughen the glass by following a heat up curve and then quenching of the glass.
Why not try and modify the holder of that glass portion.That is easier.
Regards
Chatterjee

If you anneal the glass to remove the temper you can work the glass. a typical annealing temperature is about 1100 F. bring the glass to that temperature slowly(100 F)/ hour, hold for an hour or so and bring back down at the same rate.

Tempered glass can be ground or polished as long as you do not go through the compressive layer that was generated during tempering. Without knowing to what degree your glass was tempered its tough to know how deep this is. I "think" .06 is a safe depth, but don't send me the bill if it breaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back