Modifying STEP files.... 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

designmr

Mechanical
Nov 29, 2005
US
Thank you in advance.

I am SURE, this has been asked many times here, but here goes (again).

I have imported a STEP file assembly. I need to cut a section and try and make a exploded view from configuration I hope to create. HOW does one cut a STEP files features?

I am using Solidworks 2016.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On a distantly relataed note, the STEP file format is documented:
You will probably have to spend money to get the referenced ISO specs.

A long time ago, I used to modify DXF files with a text editor.
That was possible because the DXF format is documented, and usually comprises only ASCII text.
Because the files are huge, I used an awesome text editor named 'PI', sold by an outfit in San Francisco. Most text editors cannot deal with very large files.
I was not modifying geometry, though that is (theoretically) possible.
I was fixing erroneous DXF files produced by our magical Computervision system.
Luckily, it only had a few bugs and mangled DXF files in several consistent ways,
so fixing a file was as easy as searching for the erroneous entries and substituting something less erroneous.

For what you want, it will be WAY easier to do it all in Solidworks.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

I have seen some STEP files import as surfaces only. When I sectioned them I could see that they were just empty shells. And more often than not they would have some shell errors in them, some small microscopic openings at surface joints. I never had to convert them to solids so I can't help, but I can see how that would be an issue.

TheTick, if you have ever tried cutting a STEP file, it doesn't seem to recognized layers or features. You can run thru the steps of making a cut, but no cut will appear. Can see the geometry visible. Thank you though for your response.

Thank you MikeHalloran and Jboggs for you response as we

Learned one thing, if I change OPTIONS before opening a STEP file, the DO NOT KNIT, I can actually create a exploded view, I NEVER knew this options. Things you learn.

Yeah, you got me there. At no time in the last twenty years have I had to cut a STEP file. Is this a new thing? Maybe I'll see it sometime in the next 20. Or maybe my kids will...

We sometimes need to modify imported step files but it is always what I would consider "Band-Aid" changes since the original part isn't parametric. This is also assuming that the file imports correctly as a solid with no errors. If your cuts aren't cutting, there could be import errors or multiple bodies and you don't have the correct body selected in the cut feature.

While importing you have the option to run import diagnostic and create bodies. Make sure those options are selected. As other mentionned, sometimes SW is unable to create the body so it's only a bunch of surfaces. If you have the time you can close the gaps to have the geometry be "water tight" and then create a body. This methods can be long and painful though. Once you have a body you will be able to apply some operations to it such as a cut. If you have a file with a lot of parts the run import diagnostic feature may be too long to process for your computer and make it hangs.

Patrick

Yeah, I used to import STEP files of complete engines. The only part that got screwed up, consistently, with every update, was the split lockwashers. You know how many of those there are on an engine? Yikes!

SW, or the STEP format, or the exporting software, was somehow unable to define the angled 'split' in the lockwashers, so the lines representing edges did a couple of spurious loops at the corners of the split. My predecessor must have had some kind of macro to find and replace them with something else, but he was departed before I figured out what the problem was. Oh well, I'm departed now too.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Appreciate all the advance and comments. Guess some day, some version of Solidworks they will make it easier....Till than, I guess its a work around......AS NORMAL.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back