Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Modular cradle type connector needed (120VAC 20AMP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyazh

Electrical
Apr 13, 2007
US
Hello all. I am in search for a high power (120VAC 20+Amp) capable modular connector set. I have tried allied, mouser, digikey, hirose and bourns. The closest thing that comes to what I need is the bourns ...

but its only rated at 3Amp a connector. I need something similar to the connectors on cell phone cradles, wireless phone bases, and notebook battery connectors. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In physical form factor it needs to be like a cordless phone charging system. Where part A can be placed on to part B and there will be electrical contact without a mechanical connection (no locking systems or anything). The main issue is it has to be fairly compact. A conventional plug is not only too tall, but also too wide. Thanks for the help though.

Can you use an inductive coupling? At a previous employer we were playing with a development unit which could transmit a few tens of kW through a watertight insulating casing. It was quite effective. There was also a smaller version which used similar principles to power a compact fluorescent lamp without any exposed conductors.

I can't find anything on the web from my former employer, but my ex-boss worked at Southampton University where this idea kicked off:

----------------------------------
image.php
Sometimes I only open my mouth to swap feet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back