Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mold Designing 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpas

Marine/Ocean
Mar 3, 2013
IN
Hey Guys
I am new to mold design world, I want to design a mold and am not able to get any tool room trg.
I have done ug and online trg programme for mold design.
I want to design a mold with each and every detail with out mold wizard help.
can you guys please guide me like the general arrangement assembly in 2plate and 3 plate mold.
I will be happy to learn.
If any one has .prt file for ug please upload
Rgds
Nick

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes I have a basic idea of a mold, like cavity plate, core plate, clamp plate, ejector rails, pins, return pin etc....
All I want to know if I have to make a plastic box mold ....what design consideration I have to take.
height of ejector pin, ejector rail, guide pillar length and dia etc...
what factors governs the above data.
Rgds
Nick

Why do you NOT want to use 'Mold Wizard'? It's a tool which would appear to be exactly what you're looking for.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

John R Baker
Thanx for reply
Most of the industry in india do not use mold wizard due to cost factor and
Rely on designer to design a mold and even core and cavity are extracted rather
Than using mold wizard.
I am asking beacuse i want to know the factors involved in mold designing
If i am able to design one mold manually my concept will be clear
Rgds
Nick

There are many factors that need to be considered when designing a mold. What are the customer specifications, what press is it going into. What type of material is being injected into the mold, on and on and on....
And most important is EXPERIENCE.

And, I want to design a space shuttle....is there an online trg programme for space shuttle design...??!

Please post link.............. ;0

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

Mold design is not something one can master by taking "an online course", It's far too complex.
You need to design molds, then see, listen and learn on if or how that mold actually works in reality.
-Can it open, -was the applied tolerances too tight / too large, -how did the cooling work , etc etc
Then take that knowledge into consideration when designing the next mold.
It's easy to design something that looks like a mold but which doesn't work in reality.

Have a look at the video here :
This guy probably thinks that he's drawing a propeller for a ship.
-He has probably never been even close to a real propeller.

Regards,
Tomas

I call some this mold tool design black Magic. There is so much Proprietary information in different companies that some do not even allow you to take pictures of their set up. There is the basics and then there is the experience. The new mold flow software that is out now help out greatly. .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back