Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mold machining

Status
Not open for further replies.

kukelyk

Industrial
Mar 21, 2005
HU
I am new in mold cam programming, i need some help.
Roughing is OK with cavity mill and rest mill.
What is the best practise for the pre-finishing and the finishing?
There are 0,5mm stock on the wall and the floor after roughing. First, I would like to pre-finish the non-steep areas with ball mill, and after than the steep areas with torical mill.
When using fixed-contour, the stock is 0,15, but the path is incorrect, because I have to avoid steep walls more than the roughing stock..How can I easily do that?
How can I define different stock on the cut area and the other faces of the part?
Thanks in advance

----
kukelyk

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would start by looking at some of the sample processes.

Go to help --> Manufacturing Tutorials --> Open a Sample Part, and double click cam_sample_mill_contour_setup_1 and examine the geometry view. Generate each geometry group and you will see several example tool paths.

There are also some sample processes that you can create in your part. Go to create geometry, set the type to mold_sequences (probably have to browse), and try creating each of the geometry groups, using your workpiece as the parent.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Set boundaries at the walls and then add the appropriate boundary stock if you need to stay away from the walls. We make a lot molds and dies and I would recommend a z level approach, such as start with any non-steep areas on the tops of the walls, then do the walls with floor stock to stay a little above the bottom of the walls, then finish any floors with boundaries and stock on the walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back