Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mold texturizing 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Industrial
Dec 16, 2005
CA
Hi everybody.
I'm wondering how all the texturizing people getting their patterns for etching. Ia any computer program to do it?. Anybody with help in above matter?
Alex

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you.
I did read the thread, but nothing for me. Guys referring there was looking for customer not to give any advice.
Alex

In UK automotive applications there are two main companies that are used for surface texturising plastic mould tooling - and in my experience both of these tend to be very cautious about revealing either the technology or patterns that they can produce - the best I have ever seen is a set of pre moulded plaques in a variety of materials (as the surface texture tends to reflect and therefore look different depending on the colour and type of material) This let me photo the texture and then read this in as a raster file and apply it as a texture into UG - maybe you could use this method ?

Hope this helps

Sean

Texturing tools can be done with several methods. The actual method depends on the required grain pattern.
Simple uniform "sand" grains can be accomplished with an EDM process during production of the mold cavity.
When this method is not feasible the grain is produced by air brush application of a masking agent. A suitable acid is then applied to the surface for a specific time to produce the desired grain depth. More time more depth.
For detailed textures with noneuniform type surfaces like leather grain etc. The grain is applied by using a masking sheet. Basically a waxy type masking agent is applied with masking paper. The paper is then removed leaving the waxy grain mask left on the steel. Then acid is applied to produce the grain on the steel.
All of these processes sound simple but this should be considered a highly skilled job. In short it is very easy to screw the tooling up if you don't know what you are doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back