Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mold Wizard tap drill not matching UG standard tapped hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtrist

Automotive
Feb 4, 2014
US
Our programmers here are using a program to recognize our tapped holes. I am getting in trouble because the Mold wizard tap drill is not the same as the UG tapped hole function. How do I change the Mold Wizard file to match the UG standard tap drill for tapped holes?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Jim T
NX 8.0.3.4

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Before I would start changing anything you might want to check out the fact that the Mold Wizard specification may have been based on the assumption that the holes were being drilled into tool steel, while the normal NX threaded Hole features are based on handbook specifications which I suspect is assuming something more common, such as mild steel.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Jim T.

Mold wizard looks at a few different files when making the tapped hole on a false body.

First the spreadsheet for a standard component may have "<UM_VAR>::Screw_Tap_Drill_Dia_6" this will cause MW to look into your project's VAR part and link in the value. If your project does not have a Var part it will look into the Pre part file in your MW Library.

Second place it would look is for the Symbolic thread if you use it. That is in the Thread_Standard_Dat excel sheet in your MW Library under templates.

If you have both the Var part and your Thread_Standard_Dat file updated to use what ever dimensions your shop floor is looking for your results should improve.

Thanks,

Jim T. 2.0
Design Engineer
Denso

John,
Actually the MW numbers don't match any standard that I find. That is part of the issue.

Jaime,
Thanks, found the Thread_Standard_Dat sheet. Now just need permissions changed so I can change the file. Glad to here I am new and improved. Good luck keeping FOBU in line. Give him as much grief as possible for me.

Thanks again.

Jim T (dos version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back