Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moldflow vs. Moldex 3D??

Status
Not open for further replies.

klank

Mechanical
May 28, 2010
DK
Hi people.
My company are thinking of bying a simulation app for injection molding simulation. Its either gonna be Autodesk Moldflow og Moldex 3D.
Does anyone have any experience with these apps?
Which one comes out with the most reliable results etc?
We use SolidWorks for CAD by the way.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experience with Mouldflow or any other similar program is that the results VERY much depend on the skill of the operator, especially in regard to ensuring the model matches the mould and that the input data is appropriate.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Reading between the lines I think Pat's saying either will work and the differences are more in operator than in software.

Chris DeArmitt PhD FRSC CChem

What I am saying is that if you are a CAD jock who can't mould, nothing will work.

I only ever used Mouldflow so I can't compare directly. I have worked on numerous projects where mould flow analysis was done by others with non disclosed software, hence my comments.

I have seen Mouldflow not work, but on investigation:-

The wrong material was used.

The wall section had a thick spot on the mouldbut not on the model.

The gate was positioned in a spot that was impossible to manufacture so the mould would open.

The gate aimed directly dow a cavity giving bad jetting, etc etc

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Hello
I can say that we have tested both software and the conclusion was, that for thermoplastic flow simulations both works OK. By themosets we found major discrepancies.
Nevertheless if you are just in thermoplastic area commercial criteria should be put on first.

Best regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back