Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moment Connection: WF Column & HSS Beam

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatMan

Structural
Feb 23, 2014
US
I've been looking at different schemes to do a moment connection between a WF column to HSS rect/square beam (both sides of column). A bit of odd case here. It will be treated as a OMF (not a pre-qual connection). I'm trying to solicit some ideas as all I can come up with is using a welded plate to top/bottom continuity plates. Any advice/suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can a stiffened end plate connection with shims work? The shims are to allow the connection a little 'wiggle room' for installation.

Dik

Bolted End Plate moment connection. Looks exactly the same as a wide flange beam running over an HSS column with a cap plate.... just rotated 90 degrees.

Not pre-qualified, of course. But, for an OMF that shouldn't be a problem.

You may also want to consider overframing the beam over the column, similar to what Josh alluded to. In essence, a single story column at every floor. Do use stiffeners and checks to ensure that the column is braced through the beam to the diaphragm.

I thought you might appreciate some details for the common configurations. They're mostly just the concepts mentioned above by my cohorts. Obviously, some details are more expensive than others and your choice will be dictated by requirements for aesthetics, flexural capacity, and joint stiffness.

C01_aqrr0x.jpg

C02_rci0xu.jpg

C03_xhor5f.jpg

C04_srto5b.jpg

C05_ttslta.jpg

C07_dgjj51.jpg

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back