Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Moment Connection 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

AISC's 'DG_39-End_Plate_Moment_Connections' is an excellent source and has many worked examples. I use them as a guide for my SMath programs.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

is it really considered as moment connection ???
check the following

Bolted_plate_to_plate_connection_AISC_bvxrep.png

Moment_connection_gdghvj.png

Yes... I've used these plated end connections for 50 years for plactic designed moment shear connections at the cantilever. They work very well and are very cost effective. End plates are typically 3/4 or thicker to be stiff enough and to reduce any prying action. That the criteria I use for thickness.

From a recent project; This was used for a simple span beam splice at mid span. They needed to cut the beam in half to install in an existing structure. I usually like splicing at 1/3 point, but client wanted it at mid span:

Clipboard01_dy2bhs.jpg

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I mean moment into the column. Like a moment connection in a bent frame, for example. You don't seem to be trying to do that. This is more like a beam splice that's interrupted by a column web.

That figure where it's strong axis is irrelevant to this situation, too.

Mbasi, if your column doesn't project above the floor, why don't you extend one of the beams over the top of it and connect to the other beam on the far side? If they're being that restrictive on the metal is there no deck or floor here? If that's the case couldn't you drop the beam 1/2" for a top plate/welded moment connection?

Moment into the web, or moment into the flange... add a couple of stiffeners and it's done the same way. No difference. You can bolt the stiffened end plate to a flange just as easy as you can bolt it to another stiffened end plate. Add a couple of stiffeners to the column web-flange, and done like a dinner. If your endplate cannot extend above the beam flange, then use a bevel weld at the top flange. On the above example detail, that was what the fabricator wanted to do.

-----*****-----

-Dik

The end plate definitely works as a moment connection. It's very unusual for Engineers to design a beam to column connection with a moment in the minor axis of the column. I agree, fabricators favour different options. You probably don't need column stiffeners if beams are fixed to the Web on both sides. The end plates are min 15mm thk and the Column is 203x86 UC with web thickness of 12mm and max moment of 75kNm from each beam

For end plate thickness, I generally use the minimum thickness required to prevent prying action. I didn't know there was a minimum. More likely, you want to transfer the moment through the column to a beam, or cantilever on the other side. [pipe]

-----*****-----

-Dik

@lexpatrie unfortunately I am only commissioned to design for the steel connections as the steel frame was designed by another engineering firm

If a frame and moments may be +ve or -ve, then the bolt pattern should be symmetrical, not as shown. The image is for moment in one direction only. Similar problem and solution, just a different detail.

-----*****-----

-Dik

What Dik said. These are just bolted, unstiffened, end plate connections. There is a whole AISC design guide (actually multiple) that covers them. A lot of good testing and research out of Virginia Tech too.

For what it's worth, the use of these connections to resist SEISMIC forces is more debatable. But, for gravity and wind loads, they are very commonly used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back