Moment of Inertia? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

veritas

Electrical
Oct 30, 2003
AU
Hi

I have an 11kV, 50Hz, 4.818MVA, 16-pole hydro generator. Shaft height = 1m, width = 1.95m. Any idea what the moment of inertia in J in kg.m2 is please? or what is a typical value for this type of machine. Have tried the manufacturer but it's like trying to pull chicken teeth!

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my opinion, if the rotor weight is known and rotor diameter also then
J=GD^2=1/8*W*D^2 W=weight in kg ; D=rotor diameter [m]; J [kg.m^2]
If it is not known ,we may use the H constant formula:
J=2*H*Srated/(2*π*Frated/N)^2[kg.m^2]
Where H constant [2-4 Ws/VA]; Srated [4818000 VA]; Frated =50 Hz N=number of pole pairs[8]
In your case it could be 12500 to 25000 kg.m^2.
The above formula it is the same as per IEEE Std 399/1997 Brown Book 4.9.3.3.2 The H constant.
See[for instance]:
file:///D:/D_My%20Documents/Engineering/Generators/Synchronous%20generator%20dynamics%20Lund%20Un.pdf

7anoter4

Still working through your equations. First one no problem. Busy with 2nd one.

I did finally manage to get the rotor data from the OEM. The stated J = 2723 kg·m[sup]2[/sup] is substantially lower than the predictions in this post and I'm wandering why?

However, if I use the equation for J = m·r[sup]2[/sup]/2 (identical to your first equation) = 3080kg·m2 as follows:

Add up the weights of the fan + shaft + magnetic wheel + rectifiers + exciter = 14582kg

Assume radius, r = 0.65m (approximately) to get

J = 14582*0.65[sup]2[/sup]/2 = 3080kg·m[sup]2[/sup] which is in the ballpark of 2723kg.m[sup]2[/sup]

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=30b964f3-46be-4c09-93c3-826be0a8e1c1&file=Rotor_Data.pdf
What I also find intriguing is the following:

H = K/S[sub]r[/sub] = (5.48e-6·J·N[sup]2[/sup])/S[sub]r[/sub] =(5.48e-6·2723·375[sup]2[/sup])/4818000 = 0.436 J/VA.

where K = kinetic energy at rated frequency in Joules
S[sub]r[/sub] = rated power in VA
N = speed in rpm

Also a bit outside the range of 2-4 Ws/VA.

7anoter4,

Your 2nd formula, J = 2*H*S[sub]r[/sub]/(2*Π*f/N)[sup]2[/sup] is the same as mine. I used rpm instead of frequency and pole pairs. If H = 0.436, I get J = 2723 again using your formula.

Still a bit perturbed by the substantial discrepancy between the OEM values for J and the values suggested in this post.

It does not help here, I was about to say what you need is Fred, but we have already a post from a Fred, so you need a joe. He's the little old guy in maintenance who jealously guards all the original plant data. This is because he knows how difficult it is going to be to replace it - from manufacturers who merged or went out of business.

Joe retires and the new guy, usually with an MBA or what ever throws "all that old junk" out.

I have seen this time and time again!

I have seen the inertia checked from a free run down. It was done graphically, but was 40 years ago, so sorry cannot remember the details. It was done at low speed, to minimize windage. I don't know the practicalities of doing it in your case.

Ok, will check it out, thank you. The rather low J for the machine is in itself good and bad. Bad because the machine will "react" relatively more to system disturbances than a higher J machine which of course is not desired. Good in that it is easier detectable with something like ROCOF which I am setting up for Loss of Mains. Wonder where's the ugly...

7anoter4,

Sorry, could not open the attachment. Needs some Adobe Acrobat Extended Asian Language font pack which I unsuccessfully tried to install. Maybe an alternative way to resend?

Many thanks dArsonval, got it.

7anoter4 - makes sense now.

Hoxton - I know what you mean. Thankfully, this is a new generator and the OEM is still around. Just not very good at communicating.

Regards.

A decade ago, I wrote an application note on calculating moments of inertia starting from the most basic concepts. Partly I was working through things myself to make sure I understood every step, but also I was seeing people make mistakes by plugging into formulas they didn't fully understand. Using weight values instead of mass and then forgetting to use "g" is a common mistake.

Anyway, I offer the app note here. Comments (even corrections!) welcome.

Curt Wilson
Omron Delta Tau

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=96ad1dc6-a47f-4332-91bc-5e96a02aaf1c&file=Calculating_and_Using_Moments_of_Inertia.pdf
electricpete,

J = m·r[sup]2[/sup]/2 is the formula for the inertia of a solid cylinder of mass m and radius r rotating on its axis. Units are kg·m[sup]2[/sup] (SI). I have seen this in more than one reputable text on the subject. However, I will also be first to admit that I have taken it on face value as I have never delved into deriving it from first principles.

Reading through the excellent text of Curt, also verifies this formula.

So I am still interested to know why you say there is no /2?

My formula would apply for thin-walled hollow cylinder of radius R.
Yours would apply for solid cylinder of radius R.
I don't know which context you were working with.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back