Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Moments in Design Reaction ETABS are so big

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husein Rifai

Civil/Environmental
Aug 16, 2020
ID
Can someone help me? My moments are so big, i cant find where the problem is?

1213_riqafe.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How is anyone supposed to help you with the level of information provided. For example :-

No model screenshots provided, no indication of the structural form, no indication of what you consider a large moment, no indication of the loads applied, no indication of the load case/combo, no indication of what you have tried previously?

Could you determine what was wrong from what you posted? If not how are we supposed to. Can you provide some more information on your problem so people can help?

Like Agent666 said, it's impossible to know for sure what's happening. Some quick thoughts from cases I've seen in the past:

1) See which load case it's associated with.
2) Does that load case have an enforced displacement? If so, then maybe you applied a displacement of feet or meters when you meant to do inches or cm.
3) Does that load case have self weight? If so, then maybe one of your members is a lot heavier than you think. Like the density or area of the member is set poorly.
4) Is it a dynamic load case like response spectra or time history? If so, then check to make sure that you defined your mass properly.
4) Does the load case have a thermal load applied to it? Could there be some really stiff members that are directly restrained by boundary conditions?

You'll also have to post your Spektrum Respons Desain.txt file. Note: I suspect there is an issue with the way your response spectra is defined. But, that's just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back