Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monitoring solenoid valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

mksoucy

Mechanical
Sep 12, 2003
US
I am designing a fuel pumping system which is supplying 3 generators. Each generator is fed separately off of the piping loop. Upstream of each generator is a solenoid valve, which will open and close depending on which generator calls for fuel. Is there a solenoid valve out there with a limit switch so the open or closed position of the valve can be monitored and reported back to a building management system? I have looked on the internet but have had no luck.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you checked I have used their control valves in the past on sludge water systems & I believe that they will have what you are looking for. If not, have you concidered using a flow switch tied back into the controls to insure that the solinoid has opened or closed as designed?

Good Luck

Will the (solenoid) application be AC or DC? what voltage? (my applications for this would probably be DC)

You might look at this link for a relay application, either a TIR or AVR or possibly another item... there are other mfg's of similar type equipment, this is the product I am most familiar with... (I'd look at the TIR due to the inrush to the solenoid -- you might see if the mfg. could provide any guidance)

mksoucy,

You don't really need a limit switch for solenoid valve to determine whether it is open or close, unless valve is defective. Energised or deenergized status can be already interpreted as open or close or vice versa.

209larry

inferred valve status (uses controller output as a basis for valve status) is only used in low risk categories i.e. indication ony.

where fuels (and possible interlocks) are involved a more reliable indication is required.

solenoid valve in wetted applications are not very reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back