Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monte Carlo Ray Trace Simulation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesEtch

Industrial
Sep 9, 2002
EU
Hi there. I am trying to model a radiation heat transfer problem using the Monte Carlo Ray Trace method. I have a PhD paper which gives some insight into this, however, I do not have access to Mahan’s book ‘Radiation Heat Transfer: A Statistical Approach’ detailing this method (Only 4 libraries in the entire UK hold it). I am programming the method using 2-D geometry only at first. Unfortunately I am not sure quite how the method works. My question is this: First I discretize the enclosure into many surface elements. Next I assume that I will emit say 100,000 rays from a given surface. Do I then have to emit 100,000 rays from ALL surfaces or only the ‘heating surfaces’ (an electric heater element in my case)? I hope this question makes some sense, any help is much appreciated, cheers James Etchells

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for your response. I didn't realise this book covered the topic. If its not too much trouble could you tell me if the Siegel book covers the MCRT method in much detail? I might buy this book as it is much cheaper than the Mahan book. Thanks for your help, James etchells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back