Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Monumental Windsculpture Engineering Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralfonso

Apr 30, 2017
US
Good morning,
I am a designer of large to monumental kinetic, mostly wind-driven, public sculptures.

My newest design calls for square discs to rotate in the wind - see encl.

My 3 questions are:

1. What is the best shape of the horizontal cutout of the sides of each square disc, to give max. torque, - a triangle or a square cut out?
2. How would I go about measuring the rotational torque and speed of the discs - is there a simple program for this?
3. Is there anyone out there I can hire to help with these wind-resistance calculations?

Thanks so much for your help!

Ralfonso

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hard to be sure... Depends on what you want the sculpture to do. Spin slowly or spin quickly?
Will people approach the structure? Will they be able to turn parts by hand?
Presumably an art installation should be visible if not accessible to the public (by definition... of course).
When it rains, is it acceptable to have sheets of water flung at people nearby?
How big is the structure? Will people be able to climb on it? If they can, they will.
Especially if the sculpture is installed near an establishment that serves alcohol...

You should just try making one or two out of cardboard and find out for yourself how it behaves.
You'll probably find that it doesn't spin very much at all unless the axle bearing is in perfect condition.
Maintenance may be required to ensure the the sculpture is still able to spin after a year or two.

I know - I sound like a total kill-joy.
You should expect this kind of negative what-if thinking when you post on an engineering forum! :)

STF

Thank you all for taking your time and for your good input.
I will build some models to test the concept...

What kind of engineer or who should I specifically turn to in re. to wind sensitivity of large shapes and how to optimize them?

Cheerio for now - Ralfonso

I doubt there's a "perfect" engineer for your project, since it combines mechanical and civil engineering, and must be approved for installation by any city or town administration if on public land.
Is this project funded already?

STF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back