Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More LC1212 questions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario428

Industrial
Feb 14, 2007
We are now cutting mild steel hot rolled plate. We got the peirce figured out as it is good only the corners are an issue now. Most corners are good but too often they get overcut when coming out of the corner. Could anyone tell me what paramter in the edge conditions make the most difference and what it should be for example 1/4 plate.

Thanks for any responces, just found this forum and it has helped already.

As far as tech advice from Amada, we bought the machine new from them and tech calls do not get returned.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

have you tried looping the corners? that usually helps with thick material when you are cutting a sharp corner.

another problem I have encountered that messes up the corner is that if you switch cutting conditions at the corner to fix the messed up edge you can also mwss up your offsets and your part will vary in size at opposit ends

I hope that helps

I am understanding that the corners get overcut by burning.

Edge Control will solve this problem by stopping in the corner and pulsing for a certain distance.

Go to your Edge Data Screen and use the following:

Work Angle: 90
Pierce Power= 0
Pierce Duty= 0
Gas Kind: Same as cutting condition
Pierce Gas Pressure: Same as cutting condition
Pierce Time= 0
Distance= 0.059"
Vor Rate= 3.5"
Vor Freq= 10 to 25 Hz
Vor Duty= 25 to 30

Hope this helps

Tech guy from my dealer finally got back to me and told me the same thing as msadoval and the corners are cutting great now.
Thanks

msandoval,
I have read your posts about using the "edge data" screen to pulse cut around corners before.

Is this method equivalent to "power ramping" on a Mazak?

I have used corner looping in the past but I am interested in trying the power ramping. Would you suggest one method over another?
Thanks and I really appreciate your posts on this forum!

gewing

Similar concept but different.

Power ramping is known as Dynamic Power Control (Cincinnati), Modulation (Bystronic), Fine Edge Control (Amada), etc. This function works when there is a change of speed in the machine. Acceleration power ramps up, deceleration power ramps down. This is mostly used in thin gauge materials.

Edge Control (Amada)is a function mainly used for thicker plates to get a nice sharp edge instead of corner loops. The machine stops at a corner according to the Work Angle, shuts the beam off, and gradually pulses for a commanded distance, at a lower speed, and then it resumes cutting at normal speed. Most machines today have this feature.

I would contact Mazak directly to know more about this feature. If this function does not work for plate, you can easily include this in your program. It would take some effort but the end result would be the same.

Good Luck

I managed a busy profiling department for 10 years using hy def plasma machines but would like to start up on my own with a laser. I spotted what looks like a reasonable machine Amada LC 1212 and it seems to fit the bill. Being a laser virgin, I wonder if anybody could give me some advice on the running costs and the difference between hy def plasma and laser. What sort of things should I try and avoid when looking for a used machine?
Any help will be very gratefully received

Matty

Find out when the turbo blower and vacuum pump was last replaced. Also find out if the fanuc resonator has been replaced, ask when was the last time the mirrors have been replaced. I don't know what your budget is but Bystronic has a new laser machine called the Byvention with a small footprint (20'X20') and could cut the following:

Mild Steel - .312"
Stainless Steel - .250"
Aluminum - .160"

The machine can cut a full size sheet (120"X60") in segments of 60"X30" max. Check it out on this website

Good Luck,

Hector

Hector,
many thanks for replying. Afraid our budget isnt a massive one but at the minute we are just pricing things up. Could you breifly explain some of the running costs for me? As I said earlier I have lots of experience in Hy Def plasma but not laser and for years was under the impression laser was expensive to run. It does appear to me though that laser is very much more competetive today.

Matty,

The running costs of a laser would be:

Optics: Internal and External. Depending on resonator power these could last you anywhere between 4K to 12K hours.

Turbo Blowers: The Fanuc Turbo Blowers usually have a lifespan of about 12K hours.

Vacuum Pump usually gets replaced but it really depends on the machine itself

You would also want to consider your assist gases and your laser gas mix a part of the equation.

The more frequent things to replace of course would be nozzles, lenses, sensor heads, etc.

Good Luck in your search.

Hi Matty, laser operations are far cheaper than the consumables involved with plasma. Additionaly you get far better results with tolerances nd edge quality.

The Amada laser is a solid product and the controls are very user friendly. I am not sure about this particular model but most allow are solid.

Amada only uses a standard laser gas so gas costs are extremly low. Lens life should be 3 months if you are running it correctly.

If you are going to cut S/S I'd recommend dedicating a lens just for s/s and alum thus saving wear and tear on reg mat'l and saving the time invlolved in lens cleaning afterwards.

Also, bear in mind, if you are cutting both mat'l types ensure you empty the tray after aluminum as it can ignite once you return to hrs.

has anyone heard of the Mazak NTX48? We were originally looking at something like the Amada LC 1212 machine but recently came across the Mazak. It seems to be a compact, robust machine and is able to cut upto 10mm thick mild steel. I used to use Esprit software (Procut) and wouldve liked to have used it again but have been told by Esprit that would need to build a post processor for it to be compatible, with an additional cost and maybe 6months delivery. What other good software is available? Fabriwin? Jetcam?

I say swing for the MetaCAM. This is by far the best third party CAD/laser/punch/3-D/, etc. A bit costly but worth the price.

Used it for years, loved it.

Matty73, Mazak is a solid machine and the machine in particular is known to be a work horse. The nice part about this machine is you can also add on a load/unload system if your production needs require it.

This you could find used as well or contact Mazak Optonics direct for pricing on this. I am not sure which software they used for this machine but the mazak software is good and is directly supported by Mazak themselves. The benifit to that is all updates and changes can be implemented quickly and any benifits are made direct by Mazak.

Hope this helps.

We are hoping to purchase the Mazak and run Esprit software (Procut) once a post processor has been written to adapt it. Does anybody recommend Quimtek or any of the other online quoting databases for lasering? We have a certain amount of work but as is the usual case we do require more and have been approached by the above and their fee appears reasonable if it generates quotes in orders. Is there a specific online database for laser work at all or is it time for cold calling in the automotive trade??
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back