Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

More snake oil or the real deal? 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmw

Industrial
Jun 27, 2001
GB
Blacklight claim a breakthrough with a new primary energy source.
Well, it has the slick website with pretty animations we expect of the snake oil purveyors, but it will take some time to understand exactly what is on offer.

In the meanwhile, as I read it, I will continually remind myself of the two essential mantras (They may have kept me from buying London Bridge but I wonder if they have also kept me from some genuine deals?):
[ul][li] There is no such thing as a free lunch[/li]
[li]If it seems to good to be true, it is.[/li][/ul]

JMW

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

More discussion:

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

the wikipedia article is at least marked as having disputed neutrality. It has clearly been written by someone who is conspiring (with the so-called mainstream physicists) to keep themselves employed by putting forth the hoax of quantum physics. They use fudge factors and partial models to try to predict all manner of physical phenomena, but truth be told they can't even accurately predict the precise location of a slowly-moving single electron at a point in time. It's good to see that there are at least a few scientists and engineers willing to question these theories, which are clearly created simply to support an agenda.

Scam, for sure.

Nobody does chemistry, taking starting materials and producing products via chemical reaction (ie. without the addition of energy via light/radiation absorption or electricity), and gets more chemical energy out than the difference in the heats of formation of the starting materials and the products. Catalysts etc. affect only the rate. This is basically a chemical re-statement of the 2nd law of thermo.

If they were taking hydrogen atoms and transmuting them into lithium ions, that would be a different story!

This is a new spin on the same "zero point energy" scam that's been floating around for the past 30+ years. The theoretical energy in the ground state of the hydrogen atom is just that- theoretical energy. It's not accessible via chemistry.

Quantum mechanics is so bizarre and complex (and useful) that it is no surprise that it becomes a font of scams. Hell, there are enough scams out there that exploit phenomena such as permanent magnatism and AC electrical phenomena that are a lot easier to understand than QM!

meow, baby.

two hydrogen atoms are floating by one day:
HA1: hey man, how's it going
HA2: I'm a bit bummed, actually, I've lost my electron.
HA1: oh, that's awful! how'd it happen?
HA2: I was going past that new hydrino club the other night, and I'm pretty sure a catalyst stole it from me.
HA1: That stinks. Are you sure you've lost it?
HA2: I'm positive.

On a bit more of a serious note (and I am not rendering any judgement on the Blacklight thing) there are apparently some serious problems with the current understanding of quantum theory, such that the "many worlds" theories are offered in an attempt to resolve them. These theories may prove to be true, but I have a very hard time accepting this (these?) version(s) of reality.

Do not interpret the foregoing as offering any expertise on my part in quantum theory, I just read a book:)

Regards,

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back