Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Most common fluoropolymers used for hose in aircraft engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuisLazcano

Chemical
Apr 19, 2004
MX
Hello, does anyone has an idea on which are the most common types of teflon or fluoropolymers used for hoses?

Specifically, I am trying to find out the materials used in a teflon hose application, that is part of the hydraulic system of a reverse thrust device, in an aircraft engine

Any hint is welcome. Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Forgot to add that the only information I have from this hose, is that it´s made of a flexible material, with no additional coatings or covers, just the pure teflon (or a similar material). The hose transports an aircraft hydraulic fluid, not specified.

If you send a sample to DuPont, they should be able to tell you if it is PTFE or an injection mould-able Teflon which is reasonably similar to PTFE. There are many variations of the injection mould-able fluorocarbons.

My first guess would be that it is PTFE.

Some home grown tests in a simple laboratory are:-

Test specific gravity (you should confirm it, but I think from memory PTFE has an SG of 2.5)

Test for flammability. PTFE will not burn, but be careful as the degradation products are quite toxic.

PTFE will not melt. When heated sufficiently, it changes to a rubber like state.

If you can view it under a powerful microscope, you might see that it is not completely fused, but has some very fine porosity as the melt is so viscous, that even under tens of thousands of pounds per square inch, it does not force the powder to completely fuse.

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Pure PTFE is white and goes semi-transparent when heated to around 220°C. As Pat said it can't be melted. Be careful though as DuPont use the Teflon tradename for at least three different fluoropolymers. The other Teflons are transparent, ead more at their website.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back