Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Most corrosion resistant and highest UTS titanium alloy grade? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uralsk

Mechanical
Feb 21, 2021
ID
What titanium alloy grade that have the highest ultimate tensile strength and corrosion resistant to
inorganic acids like hydrochloric,hydroiodic,hydrobromic,nitric,sulfuric phosphoric and pure elemental halogen like bromine chlorine,iodine.
Also Hydroflouric acid if is resistant

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Grade T82, ....it is highly resistant to everything ..... You can trust me ...!!!

Understand, Sergei,... you must never, ever use a "please or thank you", ... It takes up far too much of your precious time to use these simple words, Serg !!

I suggest that you just rudely demand complex and specific information from others .... Use all CAPS on occasion !!

Have a nice day, buddy !!!

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Ur...

Typically Highest UTS and highest corrosion/chemical resistance cannot coexist... these are tradeoffs: Highest UTS = lowest corrosion resistance... and Vice-versa... especially in the chemicals you listed.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

A lot more details needed.
The issue is usually that high strength alloys rely on aging for strength and the precipitates that form in aging are often much less corrosion resistant than the bulk alloy.
This leaves highly corrosion resistant alloys being single phase and lower strength.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

MJ... OK, You repeatedly stated 'Grade T82'.

HOWEVER... I am left scratching my little-old-aerospace brain. I thought I knew most titanium alloys and related specs... but 'Grade T82' simply does NOT compute.

Soooo, please advise... Grade T82 titanium >>>>>> is in WHAT specifications????

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

As a place to start look at Gr 28, 29, and 20.
These are versions of age hardenable alloys that contain Ru or Pd to enhance corrosion resistance.
Be warned, the corrosion resistance is highly environmentally specific.
And the trace additions (0.1% or 0.05%) of these metals more than doubles the raw alloy costs.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back