Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Motion Amplification Cameras and Software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bootlegend

Structural
Mar 1, 2005
US
**I considered posting this in the Mechanical>Acoustics & Vibration forum but I think I'll get more input here. I'm looking for any opinions/experiences but specifically from structural engineers if there are any.**

I've recently started looking into motion amplification camera technology to troubleshoot vibrations in and around mining structures. One system I've looked into is the RDI Technologies Iris camera. There are plenty of videos on Youtube but I've linked just one below.

Does anyone have experience with this type of system? Occasionally I will run into vibrations of a catwalk, handrail, or bracing member of a structure supporting large vibrating equipment. Sometimes a fix is obvious, but sometimes it isn't so clear. Maybe the walkway is too flexible, or maybe it's the connections to a support, etc. It looks like the motion amplification camera could give you an idea of root cause much quicker than trial and error or even the traditional vibration analysis tools. And from what I've been told the software provides displacements, velocity, and accelerations within 5% of traditional methods.

It almost seems too easy but it's expensive so I am trying to determine if it's as useful as it first seems. Is this the way the vibration analysis field is moving, as far as plant diagnostics and troubleshooting are concerned?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I had forgotten about this when we were doing some vibration testing a couple of years ago, but it's not clear how to remove the base motion from the imagery; it would have been pretty cool though, had we been able to see the resonance of the system under test, even if it was post processed.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I'm told the software can remove the base motion of the camera itself.

I was aware that the technology was available, but I didn't realize it was as easy to deploy and interpret as the RDI videos make it seem. I'm sure there is a learning curve with the software (frequency filtering, vector diagrams. etc) but even if that is done after collecting the data it seems you'd save a ton of time compared to dragging accelerometers and cables around to dozens of points on a structure.

Another couple videos showing useful application:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back