Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motion Study cutting off some of my Parts during movement

Status
Not open for further replies.

heritagesurf7

Mechanical
Jul 13, 2010
US
I am trying to make a Solidworks animation (2010, Win7), and every time I try to have my model explode, it crops some of my parts as they explode outward. Instead of exploding off the screen, it looks like they go behind an invisible curtain. I attached a picture. It only happens to those parts in the picture (the arms). It should look like the one arm in the top row to the left. All the other parts are fine, though. Any ideas? This isn't a graphics card issue is it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Update/bump: I just tried a new motion study on a different computer (SW2010, Win7) and it is continuing to cut off the pieces at both ends of the big fixture. However, instead of disappearing like on the other computer, SW converts the parts to wireframe as they cross the "invisible plane". There is no "hide" or "wireframe" command active in my motion study.

Thanks cor, I just tried turning Perspective mode on. The parts still get cut off, but now (if you look at the first picture I posted), the two left posts in the back now explode properly, instead of just the one. The rest still disappear behind that line. I have no idea why that would change it, but at least it's some progress...

GeForce 9300GE. I figured it must be a graphics issue but I wanted to be sure. I know it's not supported by SW. However, the interesting thing is I turned off all of the on-screen menus and it started consistently rendering properly in one of the two videos.

[SOLVED] Hiding the menus worked with both... thanks for the help. Even though it's fixed, any explanation would be appreciated, unless it was just a glitch with SW or my graphics card.

It your unsuppported graphics card. That why it is unsupported. It will not always play nicely with SW. It is not optimized to. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it will not.

You will just need to live with the limitations.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
Core i7 EE965, FirePro V8700, 12 Gb RAM, OCZ Vertex 120 Gb SSD, Dell 3008WFP 30" Monitor
SW2010 SP2.1, Windows 7 x64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back