Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motor Companies Support of Aftermarket? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickg71

Civil/Environmental
Jul 25, 2003
US
I am interested in how these aftermarket companies get complete vehicles for testing products? I know the automobile companies support the aftermarket, and it would relly help me out if I could get a litle more support from the Automobile companies. Thanks for any info.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most of the time the aftermarket company buys them themselves. The only common exception is when a company develops an accessory that will be offered as a dealer fit or production line part. However, that is not an aftermarket part.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Like Greg mentioned, the vast majority of aftermarket vendors purchase their own vehicles. In many cases they have customers supply donor vehicles. The aftermarket company gets a vehicle to test, and the owner usually gets free (or greatly discounted) parts and service in return. This is often the way to go for a small outfit with limited funds.

The only aftermarket companies that I am aware of that receive free (or severely discounted) vehicles are large integrators such as tow-truck, limousine, and fleet vehicle modifiers. In those limited cases, it makes sense for the bean counters to hand over the keys.

Good Luck
Bryan Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back