Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Motor inrush, lockrotor and ground fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfie1a

Electrical
Apr 18, 2008
US
I have a new chiller installation that will trip a SQD LX style breaker on ground fault. I does not do it every time and multiple megger readings indicates there are no problems with the equipment. I'm questioning the ground fault time delay (0.1). The way I understand how the GF works on this style breaker is a vector summing of all 3 phases so they cancel each other out. I'm thinkng that increasing my time delay will take care of the problem, but I would like to understand what is happening during the inrush period of the motor. Will there be momentary phase imbalances that could be detected as GF?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your assumptions are correct but be careful increasing the GFD, you might impact your system coordination and cause bigger problems.

How about posting you test results that were taken.

Last time your breaker was tested? These trip units fail often enough to consider that and when they do they usually fail to the minimum pickups.

Have you taken any readings of the currents during startup?

Already looked at the coordination and I can increase it to 0.2 with out any problems.

I don't have the test results for the breaker handy. I know its a new breaker and was tested when it was installed.

Attached are some starts using a fluke. When checked the motor with our clamp on fluke the starign current looked like it was right a 6X.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4b996a51-c117-4f17-8336-2be0d375d145&file=2100_Amp_for_a_few_cycles.doc
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back