Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motor Nomenclature

Status
Not open for further replies.

z00b

Mechanical
Nov 11, 2006
CA
Would someone be able to direct me to a site that would describe motor nomenclature.
I want to know what Division and Classes mean. I've looked but can't seem to come up with some good source material.

Thanks

Zoobs

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is an international forum. First you need to define what area of the world you are interested in.

JRaef.com
"Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems." Scott Adams
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

In North America, divisions and classes often refere to hazardous areas. This would apply to all electrical equipment, not just motors.
See NEC or CEC.
For motor nomenclature in general see the NEMA site. Also check some motor manufacturer site such as the Baldor site.
yours

Hello zOOb,

About your request in electric motors you could find
Explosion-Proof Motors The motor ambient temperature shall not exceed +400oC. Motors are approved for the classes:

CLASS I (Gases, Vapors)
• Group A - Acetylene
• Group B - Butadiene, ethylene oxide, hydrogen, propylene oxide
• Group C - Acetaldehyde, cyclopropane, diethel ether, ethylene, isoprene
• Group D - Acetone, acrylonitrite, ammonia, benzene, butane, ethylene dichloride, gasoline, hexane, methane, methanol, naphtha, propane, propylene, styrene, toluene, vinyl acetate, vinyl chloride, xylem
CLASS II (Combustible Dusts)
• Group E - Aluminum, magnesium and other metal dusts with similar characteristics.
• Group F - Carbon black, coke or coal dust
• Group G - Flour, starch or grain dust

Regards
Petronila

Class; defines the hazardous material physical state. 1; gases and liquids, 2; solids.
Group; defines the hazardous materials (as above).
Division; The exposure e.g., Div 1 means the hazardous material is always present. Div 2 means occasional presence of the hazardous material, like due to equipment failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back