Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motor repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

astroid

Electrical
Aug 24, 2002
ID
For repairing worn out shaft at bearing seat and worn out bearing housing on end shields of motors 30-300kW, use hot metal spray OR put a sleeve. How does cost compare to performance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I agree with edison on the housings. I have always seen them sleeved, never heard of spraying a housing.

Shafts seem a little trickier. There seem a wide variety of exotic processes that I am not particularly familiar with - we recently had one repaired using "flame spray" which I believe is a good process (it was recommended by a good shop).

edison - what kind of process do you recommend to build up an undersized shaft?

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

By the way edison - I have been calling you Kumar for many years. Now I see your signature Muthu. Was I in left field with Kumar?

pete

Muthukumaran evolved into Kumar and then into Muthu. At this rate, I will become just M. [hairpull][cry]

As for undersized shafts, my mantra - replace it. Always.

Shaft spraying... sleeving ... been there, done that, got scars to prove it.

BTW, the OP has to investigate the root cause for the shaft journals failing. The cure is expensive ... at least in my clinic.

Muthu

Thanks Muthu. Next time I will investigate more closely the technology used for flame spray or other such repairs. I do tend to think there is a wide variety of technologies out there for building up shafts and perhaps the specific technology and the proficiency of the facility with that technology is important. In all cases when we had this repair done, it was not done by the motor shop itself... they sent the rotor to another facility that specified in that repair technology.

Thanks friends. We used to sleeve rotors earlier but faced frequent problems. Then graduated to metal spray which was expensive but fewer problems but the cost vs performace debate goes on!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back