Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Motor shaft analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamenko

Mechanical
Jan 20, 2003
CA
I have to do Motor Shaft stress and displacement analysis in Cosmos Works-linear, which is supported by two bearings and Radial and Axial load in the middle. THis looks as a classic beam model and can be done by simple calc, BUT Management wants to have it done in FEA software.

Problem: Shaft has 2 deep groove ball bearings one on each side of the shaft and Axial and radial load in the middle.
One bearing takes radial load only and another both-axial and radial(thrust bearing). HOW TO RESTRAIN THE MODEL? If I prescribe, on thrust bearing, radial and axial displacement=0 and circumferential=0 on that cylindrical face and on the other bearing radial and circumferential=0 what will happen with momentum on thrust bearing? (Ideally I don't want to get momentum on thrust bearing?
NOTE: I am FEA beginner.
akamenov@armlink.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi kamenko,

Just a couple questions to clarify

Are you actually modeing the bearings, or are you simulating them with restraint? What do you hope to get out of the analysis (or what is the purpose)? Like are you looking for nominal stresses in the shaft or are you concerned with the bearing contact, stress concentrations?...Whats your criteria for failure (yeild stress, etc..)?

I might be able to comment on your question if you can provide a bit more info.

cheers,
CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back