Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Motor Solo Run Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppmsb2008

Mechanical
Jul 6, 2007
AP
Hi,

I'm currently involved in a refinery revamp project...mech back ground. We plan to do motor solo run test but got to wait for the refinery shutdown/turnaround in Dec 09. The power cable can only be terminated to the panel at substation when the refinery is shutdown.

I just thought perhaps can do motor solo run test earlier than Dec by using temporary power supply via gen set. Consultant say not advisable to do that...

The planned refinery turnaround/shutdown will be 50 mechanical days, quite tight schedule. So whatever activity that can be done Pre-Turnaround is good

Thanks

ppm

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is not enough information given for an answer. What are you testing, motor, pump. motor connected or open shaft???
Size and voltage??

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

I assumed "solo" means open shaft. But would like to know the size of the motor. And what has motor been through (was it tested at end of repair/manufacture at whatever location it came from?). And what are the consequences of identifying a problem during shutdown (how much time to cope with it... and is there a spare available). In the end it's simply a question of whether the risk avoided is worth the cost. The people closest to the situation are best to make the call.

=====================================
Eng-tips forums: The best place on the web for engineering discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back