Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

motor speed control 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

charland

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2006
Hi guys,
My apologies if this is a simple question that has already been answered but I wasn't able to find anything helpful in the archives.

I'm designing a glorified dryer. The point of this machine is to tumble clothes at a specific speed over a specific time to condition them for other tests. The trick is that the spec requires a tumble speed of 5 rpm +/- 2%.

Ideally I would like to use an AC motor and hope that it stays within the right speed range and then just use belts and pulleys to ramp down to the correct speed. The torque load should be fairly consistant (my guess is ~0.2 hp +/- 5%). If I have to, I could use a DC motor, with some kind of feed back.

So my questions are:

Would an AC motor deliver a consistent enough speed over my torque range?

If not, are there any simple/good DC motor and controller packages that would work? I would like to avoid the purchase of a PLC if I can. (I found this option, which seems both appealing and confusing to me )

Thanks in advance

Charlie

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In 1/4 hp and 3/4 hp sizes there is not that much difference between 1 ph and 3 ph.
At 1/4 HP grainger has about 25 single phase motors under $100.
Ignoring multi speed motors, wash down motors, brake motors and other special motors, there are are about 80 in the $100 to $200 bracket.
Most 3 ph, 1/4 HP motors are in the $100 to $200 bracket.
The prices for 3/4 hp ratchets up about $100 but there is still not that much difference between 1 ph and 3 ph.
BUT, I like the price on those drives. It won't take much of an excuse to add a VFD drive to a project at those prices.
Thanks for the info, Keith.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Skogsgurra,
"115 V in 230 V out", I think these have a voltage doubler on the input (2 diodes and a capacitor) to give 230 VDC at the bus. I used one recently to give me 3ph 400Hz for a tiny submersable well pump.
Regards
Roy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back