Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mounting a gripper to ABB 4400 robot end effector 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

indusrobo

Mechanical
Jun 23, 2006
DE
Hi all

I am currently working on my first project that involves development of a robot gripper for a foundry industry.
The gripper i have developed weighs around 40 Kg and has to be mounted on ABB 4400 robot of payload capacity 45 Kg.

I shd design the final flange for the gripper that connects the gripper to the end effector of the robot, may i know if anybody has any experience in mounting grippers to robots ?

The robot end effector has 6 holes of M10 pitch and depth 10 mm, are these many holes enough to fasten the gripper to the robot ? .....i am afraid that the gripper may fall down during accelerations.

Are there any specific way to mount gripper to robot ? or is it just fastening the gripper to end effector using screws.

your comments are appreciated.

thanks in advance,
warm regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First of all, is your payload less than 5kg? If not, you are going to need to consider a lighter gripper or an increased payload approval from ABB based on reduced speeds.

Typically all the screw holes are used in mounting tooling to robot flanges. I do not have the robot drawing handy, but make sure you use two dowels or precision spigot and dowel to take the shear load and torque.

Yes, the provided mounting will be enough as long as it is used properly. Make sure to get maximum thread engagement without bottoming, since the threads are only one diameter deep. Also, make sure your gripper mounting plate is thick enough so that a single capscrew does not get over loaded.

Regards,

ERT

Also verify your total payload inertia. Most robot manufacturers specify not only a maximum mass (your "45kg") but also a mass moment of inertia about Joint 5 and Joint 6. This is the true measure of what you can carry, and how fast you can carry it. Moment of inertia is directly proportional to torque capability (and therefore payload) of the Joint 5 & Joint 6 servos, gears, mounts, etc.

TygerDawg

Good point tygerdawg.

Beyond this, there is also a force and moment limit. This is often shown in the specification as a graph of the allowable load based on distance from the flange and 6th axis.

ERT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back