Mounting outdoors camera using aluminum 5052-H32 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eli45

Automotive
Nov 1, 2019
IL
Hello

I designed a simple U shape 2mm sheet metal bended mount for a 4kg outdoors cctv camera. The mount was accidentally produced from 5052-H32 Aluminum instead of 6061-T6. Does it common to use 5052 aluminium for such structural use-case? Or it is better to reproduce the mount? A static linear analysis shows that there is a factor of safety of 1.6 with g factor of 12.

Looking forward to you answer
Eli

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Kingnero, can you explain more please? I am not familiar with the usage of 5052 alloy. Did you use it for structural needs?
Thanks!

Eli45....Your application is not truly structural in the sense that you think you might need an extruded shape such as you might get with 6061 or 6063 aluminum alloys. 5000 series aluminum alloys are common for sheet applications because of their ability to be bent and formed. It has good strength and would be a common material to use for your application.

5052 and 3000 series alloy aluminum are the most common alloys that will be used when a formed aluminum shape is specified. 6061 aluminum is typically used for extruded aluminum shapes. When trying to form profiles out of 6061 stock bar, the material will have a much higher probability of rupture during the forming process.

Eli45,

Sheet metal shops like to fabricate from 5052-H32. The material is medium strength, not quite as strong as 6061-T6, and it is ductile enough to be bent easily.

Aluminium 6061-T6 is used mostly for machining. It is relatively brittle, making bending operations more difficult. You need large bend radii. You can make bent sheet metal structures out of aluminium 6061-T6, 7075-T6 and 2024-T4, but it is more difficult and expensive. High strength aluminiums with cracks are not as strong as 5052-H32 without cracks.

--
JHG

Eli45 (Automotive) said:
Kingnero, can you explain more please? I am not familiar with the usage of 5052 alloy. Did you use it for structural needs?
Thanks!

As others said above, this is more than good enough for this application.
5xxx aluminium is used worldwide for a variety of applications, much more severe than holding up a camera.

6xxx is in many cases not the best alloy for the job, despite it being mentioned/required on a whole lot of projects. Apart from its major advantage, the higher mechanical properties, it also has any downsides, like bendability, weldability, availability, age hardening (~stock keeping), that needs to be taken in consideration.

6061 is a perfectly good alloy, don't get me wrong, but here the 5052 will do perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back