Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Mouse pauses every time HardDrive reads data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebel25

Computer
Jul 2, 2001
GB
Every time my harddrive reads data the mouse pauses and then unpauses. Does this everytime harddrive reads or saves date.
The mouse is on IRQ 12... Ive tried reinstalling windows. did not fix it. I tried windows98 and windows me. windows me is even worse. What could be causeing this. I just got this computer and it is driving me crasy.

My last computer had no problem with the mouse, but when I installed windows me on my last computer, it done the same thing, So I just reinstall windows98 on my last computer and that worked. Why is not working on this computer.???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Rebel25,

Use a good processor and PCB along with more RAM. Make sure that all the three are compatible with each other.
Amish

It happens on mine too, but only after a lot of disk accesses. I've tried defragging the ram, but no to success. I think it's a software problem in windows.

What's more I noticed it after I u/g from 256 to 768 megs of ram.

Try changeing iRQ of mouse(maybe PIControler is problem).Enable DMA on hard drive,if it is OEM machine run some diag.Change some options in mouse driver software,up-to-date driver,check tek-tips.com for similar problem.Try
both,serial and ps2 mouses,two button-wheel mouses.I think it does not anything to do with RAM but CpU could be.
Hope something will help

Sleew
Compaq & Microsoft TS

Are you all using Mcafee anti-virus software? If you are, try disabling system scan in the Mcafee VirusScan properties sheet. When I did this the pausing seemed to go away. The only problem is, if you want to have protection from viruses, system scan must be enabled. My wife has Mcafee Viruscan version 4.0.3 and she does not have the mouse pausing problem even with system scan enabled. Perhaps this problem only effects systems with Mcafee Viruscan 4.5 and up.

Just a thought,

Rebel25 have you try to cleaning up your harddisk by disk clean-up then use scandisk thorough or defrangment. Maybe your harddrive have bad cluster. If still the same problem why not go to the simpliest solution, go to CMOS setup then Load Default Set-up. Maybe it will help you.

Hi

If you just got the computer, take it back and get them to fix it. If you can't or there is no warranty.

1. Try a PS2 or Serial mouse and/or the same type but a different brand
2. Change the IRQs for your mouse (mind you 12 is standard)
3. Disable any power save options (disk power down, wake up on mouse - type of thing) both in windows & BIOS
4. Make sure your BIOS settings for the mouse port are correct.
5. Try putting you Hard drive on another IDE interface
eg CD to master/ HDD to slave or CD Master primary/HDD master secondary etc.
6. Run performance montior and see if its reading or writing to disk and what the processor usage is.
7. Boot up in DOS with mouse support and see if you still get the same problem. maybe its a Windows thing ie it doesn't like your hardware.
8. Try booting up in safe mode and see if one of the drivers is casuing the problem.

Just a thought or 2.

Thanks Teckie. I had this problem also. When I disabled McAfee's system scan, 95% of the problem went away. However, it would be nice to have another way to fix it.

I would suggest leave McAfee out, and use AVP antivirus. it's much beter and it uses less resources.
as for the problem with the mouse the most likely solution is to change IRQ settings.

Well michalis, you're right. The answer is to get rid of McAfee Antivirus. McAfee's background scanning seems to be responsible for the sluggish mouse upon hard drive reads. But, for some reason some machines don't have a problem with McAfee's background scans. Maybe its a chipset difference or some other hardware feature that makes McAfee run better on some machines. A great example of this is my wifes computer. She uses an ASUS CUVX motherboard which has a VIA 694X/694Z chipset. She upgraded to McAfee Antivirus 5.16 and there are very little if any mouse pauses when the hard drive reads. My machine has a Intel motherboard with a 440BX chipset. McAfee Antivirus 5.16 causes mouse to pause on every hard drive read slowing the system down considerably. I uninstalled McAfee antivirus and then installed Norton Antivirus 2002. The problem went away completely. The only bad thing is that for some reason Norton Antivirus 2002 does not like VPN connections. It seems to cause disconnects when you are connected through a VPN for more than 20 minutes. AOL also uses a VPN connection, so if you access AOL through a cable modem or some other high speed connection disconnects can occur. See you solve one problem just to create new ones. Oh well

Hope this helps,

Teckie

Try AVP ( for your protection against viruses. I have used many antivirus utilities but this one seems to be the best one in my opinion. that's for two reasons. the first one is that it need less resources from your pc. the second reason is that it can detect more viruses than Norton or McAfee.

Well guys, in my previous message I said that Norton Antivirus 2002 was causing VPN disconnects after 20 minutes or so. That is incorrect. The VPN disconnects was a result of a 20 minute remote access timeout setting that is default on the Windows NT 4.0 server operating system. So Norton Antivirus is off the hook for now.

Until next time...

I have the same pausing problem on W98 Dell P3-500 with McAfee 4.5.1. On some other posts, people believe it is caused by the 4.1.50 engine update. I just updated to 4.1.60 and still have the problem. One thread I've found interesting, a few people have noticed the problem when adding RAM. By chance, I upgraded my ram from 128 to 320 the same day I installed Antivirus. I may try taking the RAM back out to see if high amounts of RAM add to the problem...

Nope, here are some real facts. It's true that software running will cause a pause, but not for more than 30 seconds.
CUV4X mobo and any bios higher than 1006 seems to be affected.
I had tekram scsi card (dc390u2w) and dvd and cdrw installed with winme, everything aok, but I could never update bios (for cpu upgade) cause no driver upgrade for tekram. That driver causes winme not to sleep on bios higher than 1006.
So I take out scsi, buy fast ide burner, upgrade bios and cpu, aok...except system will now pause (freeze) randomly, then unfreeze. DMA off/on seems to help little, but still there. Via 4in1 update = no change...

I had the problems too . . . and the virusScan may be the problem.

Here's a few things to check. Make sure hueristic scanning is turned off (it's under advanced) as that will use a lot more backround processing. There is also a service pack for MacAfee 4.5. We use it at work but I haven't picked it up for my home PC yet. Memory could also be the culprit. I think my problem began after boosting from 128mb to 384mb. Another thing about memory is that it can act funny on some functions if the chips are not the same brand, type or speed. Thats an iffy proposition and hard as heck to troubleshoot unless you have a hard error. Finally, IRQ conflicts are the most likely suspect.

s-) s-) s-) s-) s-) s-) s-) s-) s-) s-) s-) s-) s-) s-) s-) s-)

Ok I have two computers

HP 450 Intel Celeron with 32 megs of ram and Windows ME and a 5 gig harddrive. This machine was cleanly loaded with ME and has the pause problem.

I have a homemade via chipset computer AMD k6-2 450 with 256 megs of ram and a 20gigt harddrive and Windows 98 Second edition.

I have a DSL connection and have had this problem for at least month...the start of 2002.

I don't use anti-virus software on either since I reloaded them.

Set mouse acceleration to maximum.
I had this problem without virus protection.
Mercifully it has diappeared. The last thing I did was set mouse acceleration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back