Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Movable Bridges

Status
Not open for further replies.

PresSHP

Structural
Jan 30, 2005
CA
Hello, I am researching concepts to replace a current vertical lift bridge with another movable bridge (could be another lift bridge, swing, or bascule) type as the local community consider it a town landmark. I am here asking if anyone can suggest good resources or companies to contact.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks to those who replied so quickly. My location is newfoundland, canada, but my groups work right now is just preliminary investigation into the various moveable bridge options. Therefore any information on any firms that could provide us with pricing info, etc. would be appreciated.

Buckland and Taylor are consulting engineers based in North Vancouver, Canada and have been associated with some of the most spectacular bridges in the world.

Bennnett Associates here in the UK have designed the machinery for many of the recent moving bridges in the UK. Cass Hayward in the UK have designed the steelwork for a number of movable bridges in the UK.

You could also try URS corporation. They have designed many moveable spans (one of their aquisitions in the 80s was Greiner, Inc.).

As for advice, I hope I am not too late, but you could ask the government for any cost data they have available. For example, the US Army Corps of Engineers builds bridges over many waterways they are responsible for maintaining. They would have cost data that you could compare against the square foot area of the deck, and give you an idea of what kind of moveable bridge options could span the gap you need to span. Since they are a public entity, they are obligated to give you any information that does not compromise national security. I would also expect the government of Canada to have similar records on moveable bridges constructed with public money.

One major item to consider is any sequence of traffic management. Most moveable bridges are two girder type support arrangements. It makes it almost impossible to manage traffic without building completely in the clear on a (nearly) parallel alignment or new alignment.

Good Luck. - Ed

Parsons Brinckerhoff, Modjeski and Masters, Hardesty and Hanover and HNTB are all good movable bridge firms. There are others as well. Try the Heavy Movable Structures website This organization hosts a conference on movable bridges every other year. If you are looking for a reference book, see if you can find a copy of Movable and Long Span Bridges by Hool and Kinne. The last edition came out in 1943, but copies are often available from Powells in Portland, Oregon. They sell used books. AASHTO has a publication on Maintenance of Movable Bridges which has a lot of useful info in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back