Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Moving an API 650 tank-Hydrotest or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daianto

Mechanical
Oct 2, 2008
CA
If one moves a (small) API 650 tank in one piece (frone place on site after some years of service to another location on same site (same service) and there is no deconstruction or reconstruction involved.. then that is not a major repair and will not require hydrotest-or is there more to it than that..Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks.. since "moving" is not a 653 major repair.. YEt somehow "no hydrotest" just seems contrary to common sense..as moving the tank with jacks and truck or rollers would probably stress some welds or areas on older tank..Although 653 says it addresses relocation of tanks I did not find much mention of "moving" per se, only deconstructing and reconstruction..What tests are recommended on existing tank which will be imminently/or has been, moved? Regular API inspection? settlement, plumbness, etc?

I consider that in new location(Designated for use)

Re-Hydro should be better and advisable.

Since once in service with Hydrocarbons or Chemicals and any leakage(s) damages appearing

there will be a highly tedious exercise we may enter into!

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

Yeah, it may be "common sense" or "best practice" to perform the hydrotest, however according to the books alone, it's not required.

It depends on what you're asking. If you want to know if it's required, the answer is "NO". If you want to know if you should do it, the answer is "YES"

How small is the tank, by the way?
Does it have Pad-Eyes welded to the top for lifting?
What procedure are you using ot move?

Long time back, I came across witnessing a small probably 30~35 Ft Dia and around 20Ft height API650 Design Tank shifted from an pen area using wide body trailer within our old employer’s premises(A Petroleum Refinery)

Although Extreme care was taken but there were slight dents on few shell location and a hydro test conducted;that was OK indeed!

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

I believe we will be using jacks then rollers (the distance to move is only a few metres..), not lifting from top... tank is 13 m dia, 9.8 m high.

I prefer a hydro still,since even the Hydraulic Jacks and/or rollers employed to produce stresses locally.

If the bottom gets affected then,this could be even more necessary,I understand!

Best Regards
Qalander(Chem)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back