Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving boundary - PDE numerics

Status
Not open for further replies.

montavala

Chemical
Sep 12, 2000
DE
Hello. I have a problem with numerical mathematics and programming. My case is:
I have SiC layer covered with another one (mixture-oxide of alumina and silica (mullite)). This is exposed to the air on typical t=1400C.
The O2 diffuses through the mullite layer, and reacts with SiC, giving SiO2. Si diffuses through mullite and Al diffuses through silica. The question is: How to model such case and how to know the concentrations of Al, Si, and the positions of boundary between SiC and oxide at some time?
Lets assume that I have all the necessary diffusion coefficients.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This is a mass transport problem related to diffusion of ions in oxides (treated as such). I would recommend review of the following reference books;
"An Introduction to Transport Phenomena in Materials Engineering" (pages 506-518) by D. Gaskell or "Transport Phenomena in Materials Processes" (pages 491-499) by DR Poirier and GH Geiger.

Answer to Hacksaw:
I will also have an equation for the oxygen diffusion plus the reaction with SiC. It is the typical parabolic law:
(m/A)^2=kp*t. m-weight change, A-surface, t-time, kp-const.
On the other side I will also have the reaction of SiO2 with H2O from the air which will case the evaporation of Si species. However, I assume this process to be slow, and in first step can be neglected.

the diffusion equations can and have been solved analytically and numerically for the case you are describing. sounds like a lot of fun!

you are dealing with a multicomponent diffusion, any number of texts and software packages deal with that subject.

you are not solving a moving boundary problem, rather your solution are concentration profiles that evolve in time.

for really current methods, go through the j. applied physics, it wil point you in the right direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back