Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

moving drafting files to new machine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukaK

Mechanical
Jan 15, 2007
SI
Hi

I need some help after a long time :)
I bought new workstation so i'm moving to Windows XP x64 from HP-UX.

I've already imported .mf1 from HP-UX to Windows XP x64 via I-DEAS archive. But no drafting files where imported. Is there any way to import all dafting files?

And other question. I'm on 12m2 now (Windows XP).. If i upgrade to 12m3 do i need to uninstall all i-deas products or i just install it as overlay over 12m2? What is the correct procedure of upgrading on Windows?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't really understand the 1st question on moving drafting files from one computer to the other. if you check everything into the library then all u would have to do is check out the drafting. if you entire installation was on the HP-UX computer then you just need to more you tdm over to you new computer. Exporting a package file and importing it is going to take a while if you have a lot of data.

On the second question, just install away no need to uninstall.

Okay i will explain the first question again.

I've exported .mf1 file from HP-UX via I-DEAS Archive translator so i got .arc file then i imported this file in I-DEAS on Windows machine. I've made some draftings on HP-UX for parts which are in this .mf1 file. But the draftings where not imported to new machine. i thought this draftings where saved in .mf1 along with parts and assemblies but i guess they are not :)

Another question how to export TDM on HP-UX and then import it on Windows? :) I don't know what is the best way to export all the work done on HP-UX to Windows. This is single user workstation, i don't have any teamcenter and no other user is using i-deas.

I am not 100% sure but i think you could just copy all the files and folders from you HP-UX TDM and put them in your new TDM in the x64 computer, you probably have to change the param file in the mater folder. Call tech support to see if this is doable (it should be, but probably not supported, but is going to much quicker)

your other option would be to File -> Export -> library data and select everything and export it as a package file them read it into the new TDM on the x64 computer.

I dont think drawings are supported in archive exports. A much better way is as suggested, use package files (if of course your TDM still exists).

search the help for "export package file" and read the first couple of hits.

There really is not much to it.

1. Change the option to export related drawings.
2. Select a bunch (or all) of the item in you tdm (Library)
3. Enter a path and file name for the package file (its best to create a new folder)
4. click export and wait

on new PC import this package file

you have option to have it create missing projects and libraries.

this all relies that you keep all your data in the library not in model files.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=e6c35d34-4a11-4226-bfd3-e6bd2d8f3d4a&file=library_export.JPG
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back