Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Moving to Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolP

Electrical
Aug 21, 2008
US
I am a US PE electrical design engineer working for close to 15 yrs now designing buildings & tenant finish buildouts - primarily offices, hospitals, restaurants, etc.
I'm moving to Scotland next year and am not sure exactly what code they use. I have been told that the UK designs follow the IEC, but was also told that this applies primarily to the European continent only.
Can anyone steer me in the right direction on this?
Carol

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Get a copy of BS7671: Requirements for Electrical Installations published by the IET. Make absolutely sure it is the 17th Edition.

The IET also publish a good little booklet called the On Site Guide which accompanies the regs, and seven (I think) technical notes. The OSG and the tech notes are being updated from the previous 16th Edition and the latest ones aren't out yet as far as I know. Even an older OSG could be useful until the update comes out because it is aimed primarily at domestic and light commercial installations, but don't pay full price for an older one.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Yes, BS7671 is the standard for the UK. I don't know what applies in Northen Ireland and Eire.

The 16th Edition came out in the early or mid 1990's, and there were about three or four re-issues incorporating significant amendments between initial publication and the release of the new 17th Edition.

Something to be very aware of is that the UK changed the colours of the LV wiring to conform with those used in Europe. On a clean new-build it will not be a problem but when you have an older installation being amended it has some potential to confuse: black was historically designated as neutral and under the recent changes black is now designated as a phase colour; blue, previously a phase colour is now designated as neutral. No scope for confusion!

Another concept to come to terms with is the use a 'ring' as the final distribution circuit in domestic and light commercial installations. This will probably be quite unfamiliar if you are used to radial circuits. Not difficult, just different.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back