Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mp3 Players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvanoshei

Industrial
Sep 18, 2008
US
Hi everyone, I'm asking about the usage of MP3 Players in a Foods Store Warehouse, Fareway in Iowa. I have not seen any links or info regarding OSHA's law on not having them. Really ticks me off I can't easily access this information regarding important Laws.

Can anyone direct me to the why and where of this law? Thanks for reading.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The company can state "NO earphone players" and use the loss of communication as a Safety Rule... IF I yell "Look Out" and you can't hear it - then there is a real problem.

While modern day earplugs block most "bad" noises - remarkably they do allow you to hear normal voices - pretty much. So you can hear a warning.

But having earpllugs in place playing some wacked out loud concerto or Metallica could cause problems.

It is true if you use both ear pieces to listen to music it can cause serious Saftey Issues. However, common sense tells us to use just one ear piece, so the other can hear "Look Out" screams/yells/horns/whistles.

It would be like... Truck Drivers listening to the radio, it isn't going to distract you enough to where you can't hear or see danger, unless you really crank it.

Is there anything I can do, say a petition to our work, signed by employee's... to change the policy? You're guys's thoughts on the matter or suggestions on the petition?

How do you know your employee who is rocking out to Metallica with one headphone in still won't hear someone yell "LOOK OUT"? I do not allow the use of earphones in my facility due to the hazards of my facility and the distractions they create.

Safetydan - I would respect any employer who looks out for the saftey of his crew. However, all you need to do is put a rule in that you can't have it above a certain sound level.

Rules are to be followed, if they aren't following the rules in the first place, they're a hazard in themselves. I'm I wrong?

There is NO reason to have such heavy regulations on something thats as easy as chewing gum and walking and talking. Another case in point. Truck drivers. They listen to the radio regardless that its the most HIGHLY suspected place to have an accident. And they are driving pretty much safe and sound even though listening.

So you are saying even though you listen to the radio in the car... you can't here a car honk at you? I don't buy it. Haha.

But I respect you stance on safety of your workers, as harsh as they may be. =)

Last time I looked at my iPod shuffle, it does not have a sound level indicator. How would you go about stating an employee has to have their headphones below a certain volume?

Driving a truck on the road is completely different than operating a forklift inside a plant. Everyone who has ever operated one or taught a class on them will tell you the same. A truck driver listening to the radio or anyone who operates a car with the radio I would NOT consider a distracted driver unless they were fiddling with the controls. However a driver on their cell phone is classified as a distracted driver. Many of the top freight companies offer Sirius or XM to their drivers and I would say that it helps with safety in keeping them alert. However, I have NEVER seen a forklift with a stereo. You can do what you want in your facility, but don't cry when someone gets run over.

BTW, we don't allow gum in our facility.

Easy, if your iPod Shuffle doesn't have a sound level indicator, you simple can't use it. Again, everything has rules, and you would need to be required to have a MP3 player to have sound levels. Another idea is a specific brand of MP3 set by company standards that is the only thing you can use.

Driving a go-cart, golf shuttle, a large truck, boat, any of these things that have wheels or riding on water, including forklifts, ARE the same. They all come with the same hazards.. its just forklifts have FEWER hazards than most. Outside you have weather to deal with as well.

Yet another case in point. Do you honestly think deaf people aren't allowed to drive cars? Or get on a forklift? (Not all night, he would have to hear the calls on the overhead to actually work the job in our facility haha.) And I would NOT want a stereo on any of the machines at our facility. Not only would that be annoying to people around that person... although playing something funny while driving around would be comical... but it would be a distraction when everyone has their stereo on listening to different things at once. That is why you don't see a forklift with stereo's, there's no way to seal in the sound.

So in a nutshell, you agree people in cars listening to their radio are not distracted, but.. you think just because you're on a forklift listening to music changes that? That safetydan, is being a hypocrite. =\

Myself, having drove/driving a forklift, is just like driving a car, except I can do cool things like move other machines out of my way if they block my way, traffic-no-more machine go!! =)

Sorry to hear you can't chew gum and work at the sametime...

Ok, here is another example for you. You are allowed to listen to the radio in your car, however it is illegal in almost every state to drive your car with headphones on.

I already said you can do whatever you want to do in your own building. Just as a fair warning, you will have someone get hurt by someone driving a forklift. I can also say I have driven a forklift for a long time. I am also a trainer, provided expert testimony and developed more safety programs for PIT's than most, and I can say with expert opinion, that driving a forklift is NOTHING like driving a car.

Just because they have a steering wheel, and pedals does not make them a car. I'm sure you probably also think that operating a crane or an excavator is just like playing on you X-box. They both have buttons and joy sticks.

I am not going to post anymore on this other than to say don't come crying back here when someone gets hurt or killed in your facility. I will also make sure I never go into any food storage facilities in Fareway, Iowa.

Most the laws in the states that dip into the headphones area, has to deal with cell-phone related headsets. The law is that you cannot have BOTH ears plugged. Again, play on rule that you need to use common sense.

Also, we all work the same kind of jobs on these forums... and yet you constantly keep refering to people getting hurt or you can't wait till I come back crying after they die. I would never put that kinda hex on ANYONE. Not any warehouse worker. Expecially over a debate on mp3 players.

And thanks for the condescending remarks about cranes and x-box's. Real mature Mr. Expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back