Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MS Environmental Enginering 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulabi03

Civil/Environmental
Jun 11, 2015
US
Hi Guys! I got admitted into MS in Environmental Engineering for Fall 2015 and I have a question. What you feel is the better option - Masters with Thesis or Masters without Thesis?? Please post your suggestions. I 'm quite confused about this. I would also like to know about the scope of MS - Environmental Engg.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is your goal to receive an MEng or an MS? Generally the program requirements for thesis are different for the differing degrees. How many classes would you need to substitute for the thesis? Are you going into academia or looking for a job in industry? What do those fields like to see?

I was working, so I did the no thesis option (I only needed one or two additional classes for the non-thesis option). Not one employer has asked me about it in the 20 years since I've graduated.

Thanks greenone and 77JQX for your response. My goal is towards MS. I have to take just two or three additional electives for the non-thesis option. I heard from many that MS without a thesis is just a mere degree and has no value as compared to the thesis option. This is the reason behind my confusion. I would like to go into the work force and in fact i chose to pursue masters to increase my chances of getting hired because with a bachelors in civil engg, i have been finding it really difficult to get into a job !! :( :'(

Well, again, it depends on what you want to do. I think, if you went into construction/project management, a thesis MS is not so important. Does your school have a career center? Can they offer you any guidance? Do any of your profs work outside the university? If so, they also might have insight as to whether or not the non-thesis MS is an issue with employers.

I see your confusion here. The groups of Academia and private sector will each have varying opinions on the value of a MS. Each has their pros and cons. The thesis option really only is important if you want to focus on research, specialize in one specific area, maybe pursue a phd at some point and later enter into Academia. If you see yourself at some point teaching in Academia or doing only research in a particular specialization, then the thesis is a good choice. However, depending on the topic and subject, a thesis can be time-consuming and difficult, especially when working full-time. If your goal is to obtain employment in the current industry as quick as possible and from your response, it seems it is, then you should go for the non-thesis MS. As others have noted, many employers donot put an emphasis on a MS w/thesis vs. MS w/o thesis. For the most part, they look at if you have one, if you specialized in an area and if you can do the job. Have you pondered the question of whether getting a MS will actually address the issue of helping you to obtain employment? Have you taken a look at the skills you currently have? Could you learn more skills or improve the ones you have that would make you desirable to a potential future employer?

Hello gulabi03,
That's a great question. I agree with greenone's sentiment. It really depends on what you want to do. I have an MS in Civil with an environmental focus. I elected to do a thesis because I was considering a PhD at some point in my future. While I'm very happy I did it for the research experience, an MS in an engineering discipline does not do much to boost MOST traditional engineering career paths. There are some options that may be better for you depending on your goals. Some universities offer construction management programs. If you intend to work up the corporate ladder, it'd probably be best to drop the engineering altogether and do either an MBA or Engineering Management. Yet another recommendation I've heard from a colleague with decades of experience in engineering consulting & business development is to actually do an MS in Environmental Policy. Sounds strange, but if you can understand the policy regulating your industry and the powers that change those policies you will be ahead of many. Hope this helps.

Here is an excellent summary that gets to the heart of the matter:

Thesis Masters Program: -
Thesis students will conduct a large research project, which will likely involve several semesters of work. These students must write a thesis, which is a large document that is likely to be published. You will work with a professor to complete your research. The thesis option is for students who wish to get a background in intense research, such as students who are going to pursue a PhD. or students who will be conducting research.
There are certain points that I wish to highlight in Thesis option.
•It generally takes longer time (2+ years) to complete your Masters Degree.
•If you are interested in PhD, choosing a Thesis option would strengthen your profile for PhD.
•In terms of Job Search you can get it easily and you will mostly be involved in R&D.

Non-Thesis Masters Program: -
Non-thesis option is designed to be more flexible and is tailored for students who don’t necessarily need a great deal of research training. Non-Thesis involves classes that you need to attend and write an exam after completion of certain courses in your degree. It will have structured set of subjects that you can choose and write an exam to clear each subject. It also contains projects, but those are called mini-projects which you will encounter during your last semester. So students who are not interested in great deal of research and are interested in switching to professional career should take up Non-Thesis Masters Program.

In Simple words Non-Thesis Masters program is similar to what most of the students might have done in Under-Graduation. Every semester had a certain set of subjects and by clearing the exam for each subject you complete that subject. This is Non-Thesis.
There are certain points that I wish to highlight in Non-Thesis option.
•You can complete it in less than 2 years time.
•It will have a pre-defined syllabus.
•If you are not interested in research, go for Non-Thesis.
•You can finish your Masters within 2 years and start looking for jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back