Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSc in Safety loss and prevention or MSc in chemical engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

squiral

Chemical
Jul 24, 2011
GB
I have been offered two great MSc courses and I don't know which one to choose. One is an MSc in process safety from Sheffield university and the other is an MSc in pure chemical engineering from UCL. I feel that I will enjoy the course at sheffield as its in something I like, I don't mind the course from UCL but I feel that it will open up more avenues career-wise and its easier to eventually go into management from it.

What are your views and which option would you pick?

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Look at the course content and choose which one interests you. Think about what your undergraduate course was and how it might fit with the MSc - do you want to maximise new information, or worry that you do not have the background?

Generally, try to find out about the reputation of the teaching staff. Are you going to get great minds but lousy teachers? If that is the case, is it worth it to you to be exposed to the cutting edge? How about potential research projects/supervisors?

If you want to get chartered in the UK, check with the institutions. The Sheffield course accreditation appears to have expired last year, which might make things somewhat harder. The MSc course appears to have two streams. One (including a design project) plus an accredited chem eng bachelors gets you the academic qualification for charterd; the second, for non-chem eng bachelors counts as equivalent to a BEng for getting towards chartered. The value of CEng is of course rather variable between companies.

Matt

http://www.getchartered.org/requirements.htm
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back