Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSD in Honeycomb Panels 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotorguy

Jul 7, 2004
CA
I am looking for some information on the analysis of MSD in honeycomb panels. In am trying to find a way to asses what are acceptable damage limits or panel residual strength.

In addition, I am also looking for info on the analysis of repairs to the same panel types. (ie potted insert repairs)

Thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you need to be more specific in regards to the types of panels and the types of damage.

Are you looking at aluminum/aluminum, fiberglass/nomex, or something else?

Are you concerned with skin damage? Core damage? Disbonds?

Potted insert strengths are extremely dependent on installation procedures, so developing "standard" repairs can be a difficult task.

Can you provide more info?

SuperStress

Hi,

For potted inserts a great reference is ESA PSS-03-1202, "Insert Design Handbook". We ran a series of tests a while back and the failure loads all fell within 5% of what was predicted with the ESA methodology. For sandwich panels in general (including damage assesment) try "The Handbook of Sandwich Construction" by Zenkert.

Erik

SuperStress,

What I am interested in specifically is Aluminum face sheets and aluminum core. The damage I am concerned with is mostly impact damage, multiple denting of the face, sharp, non-sharp and various sizes. My objective is to be able to asses what acceptable damage limits would be. Any info would be appreciated.

Eap2n,

Thanks for the reference material on potted insert repairs; I will definitely take a look.

Cheers, Rotorguy

Hi,

The FAA also has a good paper available on the web which might be of help to you:

"Review of Damage Tolerance for Composite Sandwich Airframe Structures"
research.faa.gov/aar/tech/docs/techreport/99-49.pdf

Erik

"My objective is to be able to asses what acceptable damage limits would be."

As far as I know there is still a great deal of work going on to determine what "acceptable" damage from impacts should be for sandwich aerostructures. NASA Langley did a lot of work to try to establish industry curves for the relationship between impactor size, mass, shape, and velocity and the corresponding loss in compressive stiffness of composite sandwich wing panels. You can find most of these papers for free directly through the NASA tech report server or google.

We are currently finishing up certification of the tailcone APU flap for the airbus a380 which is made entirely from nomex honeycomb panels, and it is turning out to be very difficuly to come to some agreement with airbus regarding what damage they will accept for an event such as hail impact. We modelled a number of different impact events with FEM to get a qualitative feel of what types of damage occur, but without a well-defined acceptance criteria its all kind of meaningless.

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back