Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MSE/soil nail hybrid walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boonie

Geotechnical
Jan 18, 2006
US
Texas Tech has a research project called "Design procedures for MSE/Soil Nail Hybrid wall design". Can anyone help me locate this document or a similar one concerning the global stability analysis of this type of wall system. Design software is readily available to model the walls seperately but not as a system.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming that you are talking about a soil nail wall with an MSE wall in front of the soil nailing, the FHWA is very soon to publish a design manual on the subject. The basic sizing parameters are that the MSE wall should have L > 0.3H with the top two layers L >0.7H to prevent a tension crack. The internal stability of the MSE is analysed conventionally for rupture and pullout.

I undertand your concerns about global stability. Check out Talren V4. It allows you to model the whole section simultaneously including different reinforcement types such as anchors, nails, grids, strips; construction stages, and load and resistance factors in the same model. Alternatively you could always use any of a number of FEM or FD packages.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I am designing a small wall that will utilize a soil nail wall with a modular block facing at the bottom and will transition to a standard modular block wall reinforced with geogrid at the top to reduce the required excavation. The internal design is easily performed for each section seperately, but as I said, global stability for the entire structure is the concern. Talren sounds like the application I need. Thanks again.

MSE Man,

Do you know when the FHWA design manual will be published? I am looking for information about these type of retaining walls.

Thanks,

Geo69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back