Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

MTL SD32X Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

drjorde

Electrical
Aug 25, 2001
US
This device has a common ground with the Din rail when mounted on it. We isolate this din rail in our Turbine Control System.
The question I have is where is the best place to take this din rail to ground?
1. IE where we have shields from many 4-20 devices terminated.
2. FG which in our case is very noisy (Many motors and Ancillary devices).
3. PE which for us is power earth (low voltage)
4. 0v which we float within the control system.

All our grounds eventually wind up at the station ground where by code they are all bonded together.
Thank you in advance.
Dave

DrJorde

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds like you're trying to circumvent the manufacturer's requirements for grounding a current-carrying line. You should consult with the manufacturer, or get an experienced EE to do this, or you're likely to fry a bunch of electronics.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

This ground would not be energized unless there was lightning or other electrical surges. We have over 300 EE's here and they have 3 different solutions. That is why I came here to find an expert in Surge protection. WE have been using these for years and I suspect they have been grounded to all of the above at one time or another. We have never had a problem. That is not to say that all are correct. I am looking for the best answer from someone who uses these and understands them better than we do.
That was the manufacturers link I posted. It is generic in answer.
Dave

DrJorde

I don't know how to do that.
The search I did, turned up a closed thread on the same subject. So I just clicked on start a new thread and it placed it here. This is not power related. it has to do with grounds and very low level signals.
Dave

DrJorde

I think that you're looking for "earth" ground. The page linked even states exactly that. I believe that their word choice ("earth") is perfectly intentional.

If your DIN rail is isolated for other reasons, then perhaps you could add *another* short section of DIN rail that is firmly grounded to earth ground via metallic structure.

All this is based on that it's a surge supression device and the surges are most likely to be lightning induced. The application is similar to antenna lightning protection systems that are always taken to earth ground where feasible (excluding airplanes).

Standby for any other opinions. They may be better informed than I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back