Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

current transformer grounding? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkyMV

Electrical
Feb 9, 2007
US
Can someone help. we are having a debate if the secondary of a current transformer needs to be grounded?
I have never seen this done, all I have ever seen is just two leads coming of the CT going into a terminal strip or device(meter etc)
I am thinking it may be a difference between european and north american code.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Swervy, I believe you're thinking that the ground was to prevent the secondary side of the CT circuit from floating and possibly ending up at some high voltage potential due to capacitive coupling from the primary side.

Well thanx,
so in answer to original question ,what is the correct answer!! about one side being grounded, and yes we used to short out any un-used ct secondarys to prevent high voltage if the circuit was to be broken at all.Instead of whats wrong, what is correct answer? Please.

Answers:

Unused CTs should always be shorted.

CT secondaries should generally be grounded (in one place). This becomes increasingly important as the primary voltage increases. At high primary voltages an ungrounded CT secondary is a safety hazard.

I think we have had some good discussions here and some good answers, i have certainly gained from discussion, thats why i joined this site. Thanx all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back