Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Mulitideatail Drawings with altered items 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartonrj25

Mechanical
Oct 24, 2008
US
On a Multidetail Drawing that has Altered Items, do you show the notation "ALTERED ITEM DRAWING" at the assembly level or at the part level? ASME Y14.24 isn't very clear and I would like to interpret the standard in the correct way.

Some would say to put the notation at the assembly level and flag the altered items on the part list. Others say, notate at the part level on whichever sheet the part is being detailed.

The only requirement that the ASME standard indicates in this situation, is to show ALTERED ITEM DRAWING adjacent to the drawing title block.

To me, it makes sense to show the notation at the part level in order to show the existing items form and then show the current items form.

Another idea would be to just leave the Altered Item out of the Multidetail Drawing and make it a stand-alone drawing, just to avoid any problems altogether.

Anyone with experience with this type of situation, please let me know how I should interpret the standard or if there is an industry-standard I can look into.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Okay, I have the answer I was looking for in the ASME Standard.

Here is what the ASME Standards says:
NOTE: An altered item may be delineated on the using assembly
drawing provided requirements (a) through (e) are met and the
item is noted ALTERED ITEM.

Typically an item would be noted as an Altered Item on the Assembly drawing if the part is match-machined on the assembly, indicating that the as-is part cannot be substituted. If the item is altered such that it can go onto any applicable assembly without altering it at the assembly level it should get its own drawing showing the alteration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back