Multi axis machining with disc cutter

Status
Not open for further replies.

engtipsuser100

Mechanical
Jun 14, 2014
HU
Greetings!

I would like to ask that, is it possible in NX to create multi axis toolpaths using a disc cutter? The goal is to mill a generic 3D slot. The following pictures show, what I mean.

1_hnevbx.png

2_snyteo.png

This is an university project, and my NX knowledge is not good enough (even to judge), if it is possible or not.

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes it is possible using a T cutter with corner radius

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX7.5, NX9.0, NX10.0(Testing)
Vericut7.3.3

Hi User100,

If a multi-axis tool-path is not required for your project....
I'll suggest cutting the groove with a ball end mill of the proper size,
and using curve/point method to drive the cutter.

Regards,

Mario C.

@ engtipsuser100
It is not NX knowledge. It is all about machining. In this case you have to see if wheel cutter fits into the feature throughout its trajectory while cutting. In doing so you have to visualize what is happening to the tool-axis.

Think of the tool-axis as the shank of cutter on the milling spindles. Now this completely changes if we talk about the CNC grinders.

To keep things simple, you might want to use the ballnose endmill as suggested earlier.

Thanks for the answers! :)

I didn't mention in the original post that, this would be some kind of improvement of an already developed technology, which is five axis milling with a ballnose endmill. The goal is to reduce costs by reducing the machining time. Using the disc cutter greater feed/tooth values could be reached, because the surface roughness is less limiting compared to the ball mill (see on the picture below, where R_t=theoretical roughness, f_z=feed/tooth, v_f=feed).

3_rnunlk.png

I made an assembly, in which I constrained the disc cutter several times to the surface of the slot. It showed me that, the milling geometrically possible (considering the toolholder, spindle too). A little bit edgy, but possible.

And yes, just like cnc07 mentioned, maybe the grinding can be achieved too with the generated milling toolpath.

John Joyce: which cycle should I use? I tried a few of them, and it seemed to me, the program doesn't support five axis cycles with a T-cutter.

If this is a 5-axis path you will need to use a Variable Contour operation
This is how we do 5-axis grinding

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX7.5, NX9.0, NX10.0(Testing)
Vericut7.3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back