Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi DOF spec question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baird

Mechanical
Dec 31, 2002
US
I have a requirement that states "...the vibration will be applied as a tri-axis vectored exposure for 600 sec...". Has anyone seen this type of wording before? Does this mean I must have a multi-Degree-of-Freedom system to run this vibration test? Any help appreciated in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In the aerospace world, we would run a qual-test 600 sec per axis. This usually is adequate unless the failure mode can't be excited in a single axis. Most large shaker tables can be turned over on their sides to excite the x or y direction as well as vertical z-dir. But, there are such things as multi-axis shaker tables which can excite in more than one direction at a time. But, usually the equipment is mounted at an angle (e.g. 45 deg assumes equal loading in two directions) to the direction of excitation. This gives a component of vibration in two axis of vibration using a single axis of excitation. Add another angle to the fixture and you have tri-axis excitation.

Thanks, I've heard about those mult-axis fixtures. Wayne Tustin told me they don't excite the same modes as single axis testing does, so they're really quite conservative. I wanted to buy one to use but customer didn't like changes that weren't going to give "worst-case" single axis. I think this "multi-axis vectored" term is for a multple degree of freedom system.

I can't believe this is still going on. We've shot down angle mounted fixtures as multi-axis fixtures at least twice that I remember. All you are doing is exciting a different axis. Unless you know this the fragile axis, so what? I think you're misinterpreting Wayne. Why would a diffferent axis be necessarily conservative?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back