Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-page drawings with different revision descriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossob

Mechanical
Jul 22, 2007
AU
I was wondering how different people handle having multi-page drawings in NX, and have the ability to have a different revision description on each page if required. (Or if you even bother doing this?)

By this I mean that we might have a 5 page fabrication drawing that might get revised. There might be 3 revisions on page 1, 5 revisions on page 2, 7 on page 3, etc, and each page has a revision description showing what changed on each page.

We set up some templates with a different attribute mapping to a revision description for subsequent pages, ie. if you insert a page 2 sheet to the drawing you get the page 2 description REV-DESC2, insert page 3 you get page 3 description REV_DESC3, etc. This became very hard to handle as we had many templates that were identical, except for the revision attribute it looked at. (Especially when our drawing templates have A3/A4portait/A4landscape borders all one different layers so we have the ability to change page size easily).

What do other people out there do?

Ross

NX5.0.4.1 WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ross,

I don't like to have different files for different pages of the same drawing therefore I manage the revision in terms of file naming as applies to the whole drawing. The same applies whether you are using Teamcentre or not. As for what to show in the revision column there are so many ways to do it that I doubt I would have time to canvass them all. Some people use a balloon or a triangle as a change identifier and many do not. Some people list all the changes in a single table on the first sheet, or a separate sheet, or even a separate text document. In those cases the technique is to add a column to the revision list simply stating what page it affects.

Working in the aircraft industry some time back it was common to plot drawings on expensive mylar or plastic film. So we placed all the material specs, notes and changes etc.. on to a text document that was stored as attributes in the CAD file and cloud be printed out. The idea was that many minor non geometric changes could be applied without re-plotting the expensive and often quite large drawings.

GM with their toolkit do something quite similar to this day by embedding most of the text based information into attributes stored in their CAD data. That way you can consolidate the change column into text without being hung up on which sheet that it should live on and how to make it fit into the drawing space.

Ross

Our company uses many multisheet drawings and we tend to put the ensure that every sheet has the revision information on it i.e.
1 - Date
2 - Rev
3 - Engineer
4 - Change
However on say a drawing that has 7 sheets and the the change is clearly eveident on sheet 3, then all sheets will contain points 1 - 4 but only sheet 3 will contain detailed informatin relating to point 4, the change information e.g. ZN E4 HOLE 13.5 DIA WAS 12.5 point 4 on sheets 1,2,4,5,6 and 7 will say SEE SHEET 3.

This unfortunately is all subject to manual input using some old GRIP programme so it's not ideal and our engineers are increasingly asking why can't we pull this information in from the change description that is written as part of the ePI within TCE to same repeating work.

Best regards

Simon (NX4.0.4.2 MP4 - TCEng 9.1.3.6.c)

Life shouldn't be measured by the number of breaths you take, but rather how many times it's taken away...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back