Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Multi-Page layout tables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest0527211403

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2004
CA
Hi everyone

I am working on an assembly and we are using Layouts to declare key sizes.

I want the layout to have multiple sheets.

Sheets 1-3 are a title page and some preliminary information and calculations linked to Case Study sketches via relations.

Sheet 4 is where I have the Top-Level assembly mocked up and important dimensions laid out. I created a table with a repeat region to lay out the values on this page.

Sheets 5 and on are to spell out important dimensions from each subassembly, some controlled by relations linking them back to numbers processed and output on page 3.

Now, here's the rub. When I try to make a table like the one on sheet 4, I get ALL the dimensions from the layout showing up in the table. And as I create dimensions on page 5, they show up on page 4's table!

Is there a way that I can tell the repeat region to only show dimensions that are on the same page as the table to which it belongs? I can manually filter everything that's not supposed to be there out, but this is going to be a real pain once I get further into the layout.

I want to avoid multiple layouts, if that is possible.

I'm hoping that this isn't working just because it's Monday morning...
Thanks in advance for any ideas [smile]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No takers?

Well I couldn't figure it out, AFAIK what I'm trying to do can't be done short of some sort of Toolkit App, which is way beyond the scope of this project.

What I ended up doing was manually creating the tables and adding the parameters one-by-one, and making a single repeat region table at the end of the layout to make sure that I didn't miss anything on the way. A bit more time consuming this way, and kind of cumbersome if symbols change names.

If anyone thinks there is a better way please let me know...

that's a tough one since the repeat region can't decipher which dimension to show and not to....

maybe one way to trick it is to make a parameter equal to the dimension in each part and have the repeat region show only that parameter. Problem would be if you had multiple dimensions in each part that need to be shown, you would need multiple parameters.

not a fix, but maybe something that can generate an idea.

mike

Thanks for the idea.

The problem is what you said.. Each subassembly has between 5 and 20 dimensions that it inherits from the layout.

To me, it looks like this was an afterthought as to what they could do with a repeat region. When I tried to make filters for the repeat region, it wouldn't accept them. What I was going to try was to make a filter based on the parameter name (i.e. for the top level assembly: TOP_DIM_A , for a subassembly: SUB1_DIM_B) and so on, so it removes what shouldnt be there, but no dice.

Just for reference, the filter I was trying to make was:

lay.param.name != TOP_*

And it says that there is an error with this rule.

Well.. I figured out the filtering part.

I forgot the ampersand & [lol]

&lay.param.name == TOP_* works just fine.

----------
"By all means, do not use a hammer." (1925 IBM Maintenance Manual)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back